Raised bed question - cardboard and hardware cloth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
@RoK I have groundhogs in my yard, as well as chipmunks, skunks, and any other small creature you might expect, what I did with the raised beds was first landscape cloth, then I did two brick layers like a table, then I put the frame on that, used the landscape cloth again and filled with my soil and planted. I have never had a problem and the worms find their way in somehow. About the only consideration is if it is to dry to long then I have to water.

Along the sides of the raised bed I put down landscape cloth about a tile wide out, and then alternated tile and pea stones. I set pots on the tiles. I figured in the future I will do another raised bed, I saw I neighbor that has an arched trellis between two beds for peas and I think it is brilliant. Such a wise use of space.

last winter came on so fast I did not have time to prep the beds, we went from nice to 7 feet of snow in less then a week. regardless the effect was minimal, but I do usually fertilize well and try to add something to cover some of the herbs that return. Even though I did not I had all the herbs back, collard greens, and a small area of green lettuce which surprised me. To date the creatures have left the bed alone although they did get the lower parts of the blackberry's this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Shade cloth comes in different percentages of how much light is allowed through also. The lower the percentage the less light to the plant and vice versa.

Ask a Question