Northern Slighlyt Raised bed gardening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 and 4
Country
United States
I'm going to attempt to an make a deer proof hummingbird and Butterfly Garden at my cabin in Northeast Michigan. I haven't gotten very far but I'm going to remove the grass inside the Box and probably bring in bags and bags of plain bag of black dirt and whatever else is cheap from the hardware store which is about 15 miles away. The soil is super sandy. I probably won't be able to work on it until the first part of June. Does anyone think it would be too late to plant wildflower seeds? I bought a bag of deer and rabbit resistant perennial and annual mix. Although I am going to put chicken wire around the entire thing to help keep the animals out.

Am I crazy for starting a project this late? Should I concentrate on gettin the bed prepped and then sew the seeds after the first fall Frost for next year?

Gamble it?
20180506_114158.jpg
20180506_114158.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
June is pretty late for starting wildflowers. I would concentrate on getting the bed ready for next year, but that's just me......

Ask a Question