Treated Wood and a Raised Garden Bed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi There,

I have some left over treated wood from an old deck of mine and I'm looking to put it to use and construct a raised bed garden. I have read that treated wood is not ideal due to its potentially toxic properties. Could I simply line the walls with a plastic material to prevent this? Or does plastic have some leachable toxic properties as well? If someone could please suggest a plastic liner to use I would be very grateful,

Best,

Jordan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't be unduly worried as I use old decking for all manner of projects and my plants are all growing well..But if it concerns you then try a cheap pond liner...Regards C

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't be unduly worried as I use old decking for all manner of projects and my plants are all growing well..But if it concerns you then try a cheap pond liner...Regards C

I'm not so much worried about the plant's well-being as I am my families and my own. I'm sure the plants grow fine, but its the possibility of toxic/carcinogenic chemicals making their way through the plant into my own body through ingestion.

Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My motto is - if it isn’t a positive it’s probably a negative. There is no way pressure treated wood is a positive. Look up some of the older posts on this subject before you make any decision.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My motto is - if it isn’t a positive it’s probably a negative. There is no way pressure treated wood is a positive. Look up some of the older posts on this subject before you make any decision.

Thanks for the reply. I believe the wood is also "stained" or "sealed". I don't know much about what goes in to the construction of a deck. I'm 23 and inherited a two-acre property to take care of so this is all new to me.

I'm pretty hellbent on using reusing this wood. I may use a plastic liner and continue construction. Any suggestions on a type of plastic?

Last edited:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would go with what @BigC said, and use a cheap pond liner. If it is safe for the fish, it is probably safe for you, as well! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I did a bunch of reading on this and it looks as if newer PT lumber is fine. I think after 2003 is the date they stopped using the really bad stuff. The newer stuff if it gets into the plant in quantities that will harm you, it will kill the plant first. The studies I saw show it to be harmless. Of course, liner will help the wood last longer anyway, so still not a bad idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Personally I would use the PT. You can do a bit of research yourself before you decide to use it so you can make a safe, informed decision.
Don't use anything else up against the wood, plastics or rubber could possibly trap moisture between the wood and rubber/plastic causing issues.
Your best bet for longevity of the bed is to build it properly and build a soil that drains fairly well.
The corners are notorious for going first, you can use aluminum strapping on the outside or use angle hardware.

25971032794_df61e207bb_c.jpg

26510118801_80bdaaaa76_c.jpg

25290661570_55a7e0e9cb_c.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I use Pressure treated recycled lumbe in my raised beds been 4 years now and I am in better health than my brother who raises his garden in a normal old garden plot.

:D Al

Ask a Question