House Flies in Boxwoods

Zsa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I recently laid new mulch and ever since it seems that my boxwoods have become infested with "house flies". It's REALLY bad and I've mulched many times in the past without this becoming an issue. Same brand and all (Vigoro). Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? I always prefer natural sprays to chemical but I really don't know if a natural spray is strong enough for this amount of them. They are LITERALLY everywhere to the point I can't walk out my front door :( If anyone has any ideas please let me know! Thank you in advance!!!

*Side note here are some of the things that I've got in my arsenal right now:
Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract
Captain Jacks Deadbug Brew

I have a 32 oz sprayer available to use as well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I recently laid new mulch and ever since it seems that my boxwoods have become infested with "house flies". It's REALLY bad and I've mulched many times in the past without this becoming an issue. Same brand and all (Vigoro). Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? I always prefer natural sprays to chemical but I really don't know if a natural spray is strong enough for this amount of them. They are LITERALLY everywhere to the point I can't walk out my front door :( If anyone has any ideas please let me know! Thank you in advance!!!

*Side note here are some of the things that I've got in my arsenal right now:
Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract
Captain Jacks Deadbug Brew

I have a 32 oz sprayer available to use as well
House flies are a temporary thing. Its mostly weather related but you stated that the flies are somehow related to new mulch. Maybe, maybe not, but if it were me I would first drench the new mulch with 2 oz of Capitian Jacks per gallon of water and also spray the shrubs. I'll bet that the flies will be gone in a day or two no matter what you do.

Zsa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Thank you! The mulch is the only thing I've done "differently" recently so I thought maybe it contributed somehow. I ran into my neighbor and she happens to be having ant problems so I bet it is all weather related. I bought some fly trap bags which are out now and smell AWFUL and will spray some Captain Jacks tomorrow. Will give an update when I get a consistent couple of dry days. Having a lot of rain in Jersey right now

Ask a Question