Dogwood Anthracnose (Discula)........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
.......is killing off EVERY dogwood tree in our neighborhood....and we live in a VERY large "subdivision". We have, check that.....we had 5 on our lot. We have had 2 (1 large and one smallish) completely die and the other three have, also, started dying from the crowns, down the tree. In the spring, on the biggest one, I cut ALL affected limbs off well below the last dead part trying to stop the disease from getting into the main trunk (the death sentence) and it "seems" to be recovering (TRYING to be optimistic).....but only time will tell. This morning, I did the same to the next largest one. It required a much more severe cut back than the other two remaining ones, sooooooo.......it's hard to be as optimistic about it's recovery. But fingers are crossed.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, crumbs! Make sure this awful disease doesn't come with Debbie the tropical storm to visit our shores. I was told that dogwood can take severe pruning and still come back. In case you are worried, mulch it when severe winter is predicted. They are supposed to be cold hardy though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The tree trimmed in the Spring......
20180812_102959.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I love dogwood, especially controversa variegata! And the red one Miss Satomi. I also have Rainbow and Rubra (if it lives - I got it for a fiver and the leaves are all dried up and looked dying!

Ask a Question