Questions about building a raised bed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!

I had my foundation waterproofed last year. Currently an inch or so of rigid foam insulation is showing at against the foundation at ground level. I also have around 6-8 inches of exposed foundation between the rigid foam insulation and the siding. I want to build a raised bed in front of my house and I am wondering what waterproofing precautions I should take before installing the raised bed. I wasn't sure if I could simply stack some stone or brick on top of the insulation or if I need to fully waterproof the exposed foundation. Any recommendations?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I would do something to waterproof it, even if mild attempt ( I assume you wll leave at least a little space between soil level and siding). As you are building the raised bed I would also slightly tilt it away from house so no puddling.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The above recommendation sounds good especially the tilting away from the foundation to avoid puddling and leave space between the raised bed and the foundation in case you have a need to get back there for some reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure you need to take any extra precautions. If the waterproofing was done correctly your foundation is protected with or without a raised bed. In your region you're not going to be doing much watering anyhow and heavy rain and spring snow melt will soak the ground along the foundation a whole lot more than watering.

I have a little old house I bought almost five years ago with existing raised beds along the front. No extra waterproofing was done and my foundation is fine. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
You already waterproofed the foundation the previous year, that is enough effort in that direction for a concrete or masonry foundation. This raised bed should not be high. A single row of bricks or cinder blocks will cover most of the six to eight inches of of exposed foundation and provide sufficient improvement to drainage. Presumably, your roof has overhanging eaves. This will reduce rainfall in the bed. Depending on what is planted and other factors, you may or may not need to irrigate the area more often.

Ask a Question