Question about drip irrigation placement for bougainvillea

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, everyone.

I've planted a row of bougainvillea. Should the drip irrigation line be placed next to the roots in front of the plants, or should it be a few inches behind them?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure I'm understainding "behind the plant" and "in front of the plant". Is that not an upright tree/bush? The only way you can drown the roots is to keep it waterlogged. Perspective of view doesn't seem to matter. If you should water, wait until the soil dries out some before watering again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure I'm understainding "behind the plant" and "in front of the plant". Is that not an upright tree/bush? The only way you can drown the roots is to keep it waterlogged. Perspective of view doesn't seem to matter. If you should water, wait until the soil dries out some before watering again.
Thank you! That's very helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It will be easier to check and make repairs if you don't have to reach through the plant, especially Bougainvillea. The other placement would make it easier to hide the drip tubing, though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Once established, bougainvillea do best with infrequent watering. Too much, and the plant produces lots of foliage, and very few flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks, YumYum. I'm not sure I know what you mean. One gardener put it behind the plants,
and another one moved it in front of them. Which sounds more correct? The first one
said if it's in front of them, it'll drown the roots.
Haha more like get you a ticket from the lawn and garden police.

Ask a Question