Do these count as raised beds? They aren't very tall and use existing soil. First Year gardener have a few questions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not exactly sure how to prepare my soil for planting. I did a deep dive on dirt and found it to be expensive and not that great to buy bags from the big box stores. I rent so I don't wanna go overboard but want safe high quality dirt at the same time. I could make my own mix and mix it into the existing soil. Buy a couple bags and mix them in. Leave it alone and just add compost and a little soil from elsewhere is the yard. I am not sure what to do anyone have any advice? I don't think its gonna be fast enough or worth it to do a soil test here.

Attachments

• IMG_20230423_104944932.jpg
    IMG_20230423_104944932.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230423_104951480_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230423_104951480_HDR.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230423_104958530_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230423_104958530_HDR.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230423_105004496_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230423_105004496_HDR.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like a raised bed to me. If there were plenty of things growing in that soil to start with, it should be ok to skip a soil test. Nitrogen is the main contender since it is usually on the low side. The pH may also be of concern. It also looks like it is pretty shady in that area. That may be a problem if your vegetables dont get enough sun.

You can get one of those cheap pH meters. You have to let it rain on the soil then check it when the soil is damp for it to be halfway accurate. Dont water it yourself and then check it.

Compost would be a great addition to the soil. You may get a better deal on a scoop at a place that sells mulch, rocks, topsoil, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am not exactly sure how to prepare my soil for planting. I did a deep dive on dirt and found it to be expensive and not that great to buy bags from the big box stores. I rent so I don't wanna go overboard but want safe high quality dirt at the same time. I could make my own mix and mix it into the existing soil. Buy a couple bags and mix them in. Leave it alone and just add compost and a little soil from elsewhere is the yard. I am not sure what to do anyone have any advice? I don't think its gonna be fast enough or worth it to do a soil test here.
It's raised beds.

Take a look at Charles Dowding on youtube for the low down on making raised beds.

I'd have thought even a couple of inches of compost on the top would be enough for most veg. If you were making a raised bed from scratch all you'd need to do is put down a sheet of cardboard (to kill off weeds) and pile a few inches of compost on top. I've done it umpteen times and it works a treat.

As you already have some soil in your raised beds I'd have thought 2 inches of compost on top would be all that's needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Yup, raised bed there, just not raised too high.

There are professional market gardeners that really perfected the raised beds and theirs are just 6 inch high mounds with walk ways in the middle, no side walls.

Anyway, you're renting and want to stay cheap. What do you have for tools? Do you have or can you borrow a digging fork for a day / weekend? A digging fork has 4 heavy square tines about 8" long and usually only has a short D handle on it. This is an example.

Cheap and easy way to do a garden here:
  1. Sprinkle on a granulated general fertilizer. Maybe look for a weaker set of N-P-K numbers.
  2. Take that digging fork and use it to breakup the ground. (see below).
  3. Cover the whole bed with 2 or so inches of natural mulch.
Breaking up the soil is easier to show than describe. Working backwards down the garden step the fork into the ground and lever it back a little to slightly lift and breakup the clods. Pull the fork out and move about 4 inches back. Step it in again and lever it so it lifts toward the area you just lifted. Just lever it a little don't really try to dig it out and pick up scoops of soil.

Mulch is like a nice cozy blanket for the garden. It helps with so much:
  • Reducing weeds and making the weeds that do popup much easier to pull and remove.
  • Hold water in to the bed during the hot summer.
  • Protect the soil from heavy rain impacts.
  • Reduces the splash up of soil and mud onto your veggies.
Now if you were to keep this garden bed long term you would NOT want to roto-till the mulch into the soil. Tilling mulch into soil will cause problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Someone put some effort into building that. My guess is they probably put some effort into the soil as well.

It is shaded so picking crops that like cooler shaded areas will be best. I'd look at root vegetables as they'll help break up the soil. Spinach and lettuce might work as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Forget the soil test. Just plant, and you will know how well they do. From your photos I see many small seedlings - weeds or not - the conditions are there for germination. :)

Ask a Question