Strawberry Plant Questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
1. I planted my bare roots and they are all growing nicely. My Earlaglows and Sparkles (June Bearings) are already budding (I am cutting the buds off). My garden is in a very sunny spot and the soil keeps drying out. I mulched them, but I'm questioning if I should have. I'm wondering if the mulch will prevent the runners from - well - running. Should I leave the mulch or remove it?

2. My Day Neutrals (Tri-Star), are growing a little slower than my June Bearings (Earlaglows and Sparkles). Is this to be expected? Also, is it true that they won't produce runners like the June-Bearings will?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think mulch will make any difference to runners, Presumably you are taking the flowers off to start fruiting next year, good practice. You may not want mulch there next year when you have fruit, a home for woodlice etc., better with some clean straw to lift the fruit.
I don't know the varieties, there are a lot of wild species and people are starting to cross them in more and more. The original domestic ones originated in 16th Century France as a cross between a South American costal one and one from Pennsylvania that grows in light woodland, but now there are all sorts of variations and there are all sorts of growth habits, I shouldn't worry, wait and see what develops.
Runners draw on the strength of the plant, I usually keep about half a dozen to plant new each year, and lose the rest.

Ask a Question