Strawberry Plants which ones are best?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Someone asked me, what are the best strawberry plants to grow??? I don't know the answer?

I have no clue what my plant are? I have 40 year old strawberry plants in a 5' x 30' bed, about 6" between plants, about 500 plants total, they make about 5000 new plants from runners every year. Ripe berries are mid May to mid June. Plants are loaded with the best flavor berries. My plants replace them self every year. Plants produce a lot of strawberries every summer in 1 month maybe 15 to 20 gallons. I though weeding plants would be a nightmare from hell but it only takes me 45 minutes to pull weeds by hand. This is NOT a raised bed, just a 5'x30' bed shape.

I planted 25 Allstar strawberry plants last summer to start another 5'x30' bed. New plants did not try to grow runners and several plants died in winter. So far these plants suck.

What is your experience with strawberry plants?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine (Arkansas Beauties, everbearing) in the ground either gets eaten by fungi, bugs, or weeds. They did overwinter well. I got most of mine seems like early Spring, well at least the other things did. I didn't get but just a few of them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think that it all depends on your taste. One man's choice can be very different to the next. Many years ago I worked in a strawberry and other soft fruit farm, and sampled quite a few varieties. My favourite one was Gauntlet. I just bought some new ones recently.
1678054940900.png
very sweet!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Less of your cheek young Michael :D It was hard work back then, especially on the older crops, often surrounded by stinging nettles and of course as the plants age the berries get smaller - we called them ''jammers''

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Totally agree. We, my late dad & I grew some, (Heinze variaty). These were grown on the plot and at ground level. Times and methods have changed. Even hanging baskets are used. I do like the idea of the raised 'V' trough, no fruits rotting on the ground. The lifespan of a strawberry is short, as they become very woody and dry out. Nevertheless most varieties produce plenty of runners. Alpine strawberries are also used for jam making.
Best wishes. Young Michael:LOL:
:LOL:

Ask a Question