question about dripline for my longan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Attached is a longan branch I got from my friend last year. A lot of leaves are coming out already. As you can see, all the leaves are on the left side and not a lot of leaves on the right hand side. My question is does it mean the dripline on the left hand side is extended all the way to where the leaves end and the dripline for the right hand side is basically the main trunk itself?

In other words, I can fertilize all the way to where the leaves end on the left hand side?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9827.jpg
    IMG_9827.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 115

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I so love to have a longan - my favorite fruit!

The disparity in the amount of leaves is caused by sunshine or even prevailing wind. Why not straighten the trunk? Or fan it like an espalier? That way, you expand the surface area and increase the chance of having more fruits. Or even tie it to a south facing wall? A more sheltered but sunny spot. These trees don't have to be tall. I remember my brother standing next to one and eating from it and in his in-laws' orchard, they were about 5 to 6 foot tall.

You could even slant the trunk to increase yield. Ask your friend for more branches...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
sorry, this is not a longan but it's a wax apple. Also straighten the trunk? my friend gave me that branch and it's bent like that already.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You can shape a tree, just gently. That's why we have twisted bay tree.

Ask a Question