Another grafting question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Lebanon
This is a chestnut -on-chestnut graft I did to improve nut quality. This picture is a month ago and now the grafts are way longer. I am worried that they may grow too long and fall off! what should I do. You may notice I did secure the graft shoots a bit with splinters tied to the original bole. BTW that's me fully complying with the pandemic thingy.
Bursa 5 (June 1).JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Top the grafts to keep them short by removing or pinching the growing shoot or tips. Give your Mother tree a good watering before and after topping. Most starting trees could be topped anyway, and it looks like your grafts have taken well. BTW you have done a super job with that chestnut -on-chestnut grafting job. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Lebanon
Here's more grafting advise I need - sorry! In the pix you can see that the bark grafts on the big trunk failed. However, I did a whip and tongue on a pencil-sized side sucker and it appears to have taken although a bit weakly. Should I saw-off the big trunk to help the small graft? Does it matter at all? Thanks again, especially oneeye.
chestnut grafts.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I haven't gotten into grafting yet, but this guy does quite a bit of grafting instructional videos and has written a book about it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
All my graftings ended up in failure. I have the feeling that it was too cold when I did them. Layering/Air layering was another story. I am more confident.

If you cut something, this will expose the good bit of the trunk. Are you going to cover the wound? If I were you, I would wait and see.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes saw off the big one if its dead, and that will allow more energy to the new side shoot. The graft on the little one is taking and just needs a little more time. Good job!

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a chestnut -on-chestnut graft I did to improve nut quality. This picture is a month ago and now the grafts are way longer. I am worried that they may grow too long and fall off! what should I do. You may notice I did secure the graft shoots a bit with splinters tied to the original bole. BTW that's me fully complying with the pandemic thingy.
View attachment 66924
Man, you are hilarious, "the pandemic thingy" I'm sure you just didn't want your chestnuts to catch that nasty cold, right? I saved the image!

Ask a Question