Cabbage question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I thought cabbage was a biennial, grows a head the first year, flowering the next.

Indeed, the cabbages that i had left from last year did go to seed. I cut the shoots off after they were full of seed and let them drop.

But, the last few days it appears that some of these plants are starting to form heads again. Normal? Optical illusion? Some sort of hybrid?

If they are forming new heads, i need to figure out what to do with potentially 2 dozen heads of cabbage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought cabbage was a biennial, grows a head the first year, flowering the next.

Indeed, the cabbages that i had left from last year did go to seed. I cut the shoots off after they were full of seed and let them drop.

But, the last few days it appears that some of these plants are starting to form heads again. Normal? Optical illusion? Some sort of hybrid?

If they are forming new heads, i need to figure out what to do with potentially 2 dozen heads of cabbage.
It's normal. The heads you get this year from 2 year old stalks will be very small. You will be lucky to get an edible size head. I am not saying you won't get an edible head but in my experience the chance is very small.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are we talking brussel sprouts size or baseball?

Im ok with baseball as that is good for batches of coleslaw, if it's brussel sprouts I'll make them into a side dish of some sort.

Know if they might grow heads again next year? I might just keep growing and planting older heads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are we talking brussel sprouts size or baseball?

Im ok with baseball as that is good for batches of coleslaw, if it's brussel sprouts I'll make them into a side dish of some sort.

Know if they might grow heads again next year? I might just keep growing and planting older heads.
Probably around base ball size. I don't know about next year. Why would anyone use the time and energy to grow something like this on purpose when for the same time and energy you could grow something new, healthy and large.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Curious mainly. And like I said above, I prefer smaller heads for slaw. I make kraut out of some, and chop and freeze some for soup or cabbage noodles.

Since the majority of the effort goes into the ground, theres basically no effort in growing these extra plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Curious mainly. And like I said above, I prefer smaller heads for slaw. I make kraut out of some, and chop and freeze some for soup or cabbage noodles.

Since the majority of the effort goes into the ground, theres basically no effort in growing these extra plants.
It is just about impossible here in Texas. When any brassica is in decline at the end of the season the Harlequin bugs arrive in mass and finish them off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That makes sense since cabbage is a cool weather crop.

Forgot to mention, stuffed cabbages. We make them 4 to 5 dozen at a time. That's where the bigger heads go.

Ask a Question