Question about drip tape emitter spacing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm working out the details of a drip tape system. I've used soaker hose and overhead watering forever and have decided to give drip tape a try. I'm not clear on the spacing of the emitters. Things I plant range from spacings of 3" to 3'. Most of the images and videos I find show these Instagram perfect gardens where there is a plant at every emitter. I don't see how that feasible in the real world as what get planted and it's spacing changes often...can't imagine changing hoses to match what you plant when you sow.

I'm considering going with 12" spacing and manage the watering to the "in between" spots with time/rate/flow. I appreciate any input anyone has.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What benefits do you find with drip tape over that of a soaker hose?
Water can be placed somewhat more precisely with the tape, but in your situation that doesn't sound like it will be a lasting benefit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't use tape but 1/4 inch hose and each emitter is 1/2 gph. But in either case there will be an overlap of wet soil if the emitters are spaced close together. You want the emitters to soak the soil evenly with row crops. This means the circle of wet soil will just touch the circle of wet soil before and after each emitter. With my emitters each emitter will saturate the soil with a diameter of soaked soil of about 10 inches. What I would do is experiment with a short piece of tape. Each type of soil will be different in the amount of time it takes to completely water a plant The benefits of drip irrigation over a soaker hose is enormous. One major thing is that a soaker hose will put out much more water at the beginning of the hose than at the end. And if your water is anything like mine it has a lot of calcium in it and this plugs up a soaker hose.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What benefits do you find with drip tape over that of a soaker hose?
Water can be placed somewhat more precisely with the tape, but in your situation that doesn't sound like it will be a lasting benefit.
Main issues with soaker was water going where I didn't need it. I have a heavy clay soil and low water pressure, I need to be more precise with the watering. Soaker hose always watered noticeably more towards the source, I'd have to fight that with many small zones.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't use tape but 1/4 inch hose and each emitter is 1/2 gph. But in either case there will be an overlap of wet soil if the emitters are spaced close together. You want the emitters to soak the soil evenly with row crops. This means the circle of wet soil will just touch the circle of wet soil before and after each emitter. With my emitters each emitter will saturate the soil with a diameter of soaked soil of about 10 inches. What I would do is experiment with a short piece of tape. Each type of soil will be different in the amount of time it takes to completely water a plant The benefits of drip irrigation over a soaker hose is enormous. One major thing is that a soaker hose will put out much more water at the beginning of the hose than at the end. And if your water is anything like mine it has a lot of calcium in it and this plugs up a soaker hose.
Yes on the water rock and yes on the uneven watering. I'm thinking drip tape may not work because of the spacing of the emitters being fixed. It would definitely be easier, just not as efficient as my spacing will change year to year. I might reconsider drip line with the inline emitters...but you know $$$ and all. I'm also concerned with moving plastic things that bake in the sun all year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes on the water rock and yes on the uneven watering. I'm thinking drip tape may not work because of the spacing of the emitters being fixed. It would definitely be easier, just not as efficient as my spacing will change year to year. I might reconsider drip line with the inline emitters...but you know $$$ and all. I'm also concerned with moving plastic things that bake in the sun all year.
I buy all of my stuff at Dripworks.com. Emitters, the last time I bought anything were like $.20 each and the roll of tubing was inexpensive as well. You can clean everything too, just soak it in vinegar. This company has everything and is cheaper than Rainbird. I first purchased stuff from them 7 years ago and most of it is still good. The tubing especially lasts a long time, even in Texas sun. And it is cheaper than buying a bunch of soaker hoses. With the tubing you can place the emitters as close or as far apart as you like. I am on a well and my pressure was low too. I just adjusted the pressure switch on my well. But even with low pressure it will still work, you just cannot water as large of an area. My big garden is about 1/4 acre and I set it up to where I could water anything or everything. They sell the little plastic connectors that allow easy installation to do this. My system is on 1/4 inch, 1/2 gph tubes and emitters. Check out Dripworks. They will send you a free catalogue

Reaction score
Country
United States
I buy all of my stuff at Dripworks.com. Emitters, the last time I bought anything were like $.20 each and the roll of tubing was inexpensive as well. You can clean everything too, just soak it in vinegar. This company has everything and is cheaper than Rainbird. I first purchased stuff from them 7 years ago and most of it is still good. The tubing especially lasts a long time, even in Texas sun. And it is cheaper than buying a bunch of soaker hoses. With the tubing you can place the emitters as close or as far apart as you like. I am on a well and my pressure was low too. I just adjusted the pressure switch on my well. But even with low pressure it will still work, you just cannot water as large of an area. My big garden is about 1/4 acre and I set it up to where I could water anything or everything. They sell the little plastic connectors that allow easy installation to do this. My system is on 1/4 inch, 1/2 gph tubes and emitters. Check out Dripworks. They will send you a free catalogue
Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

Ask a Question