Random shrimp shell question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
My kid started working at a local restaurant. the preppers peel about 20lbs of shrimp per day. my kid could easily bring the shells home. she already brings eggs shells and scrap veggies for compost.

could I freeze the shrimp shells and then in the spring blend them up with water and use as fertilizer?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The shells could certainly be used as composting material. The only concern might be residual salt, but if they are boiled and rinsed, or even just rinsed, I don't think the sodium content would be excessive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I used a lot of shrimp shells in my garden when I lived in Bacliff which is close to Houston. It is much better when used in compost. It can be a very low level fertilizer also with low levels of Nitrogen and higher levels of Phosphorus and Calcium, but when used as compost is a much better use of the shells. It is important to hose them down with water to remove salt and clean them to avoid an excessive fly and odor problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
thank you all will have he start bringing shells home starting tomorrow. will wash, boil freeze. in spring I will unfreeze blend up and compost

Ask a Question