Watermelon Plant Question

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted 3 types of watermelons. I started the seeds indoors 2 weeks ago on a heated mat. Based off of the instructions on the seed packet, they will be ready for harvest between 75 and 90 days, meaning by July 15.

I'm told that watermelon plants produce between 2 and 4 Mellons. Will they harvest like tomatoes and spread them out, or will all melons be done close together, with a once and done harvest?

I'm wondering if I should start another plant in early May and one in mid May, to spread the harvest out.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
In my experience, on any given plant the melons will ripen over a two-week period. Some plants will produce more than 4 melons and some less. To have a continuous harvest, plant a new plant in the ground every two weeks.

What type(s) are you growing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you like watermelons try one of the yellow varieties. I grow the Mountain Sweet variety, they make big sweet melons that will rival any red watermelon. They have a longer growing period than most of the red melons.

I'd be pretty disappointed if I only got 2 melons per vine, I usually get 5 per vine.

Some say pick the first melon to form as it will trigger the plant to make more. I tried on one vine last year with negative results, as both vines planted at the time ended up with equal amount of melons.

Ask a Question