Watermelon woes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Me, watermelons, and canteloupes just don't get along. The first year I ever grew a garden (15 years ago I guess) I had excellent watermelons and canteloupes. Ever since then something happens and they turn to crap for some reason or another.

This year I started Crimson Sweet watermelons way back in April. I have been waiting on a "ripe" watermelon since then. The "signs" say the oldest set fruit isn't ripe, tendril not dried up, sound isn't hollow, you know. Well I decided to go ahead and pick the oldest one anyways to see. Tedril is not dried up and thumping sound is a dead sound. Stuck it in the fridge yesterday. Today I cut it open and clear water literally poured out like a faucet and the flesh is pink. No fermentation. Pics are attached. Did I really pick it too early? It should have been ripe around the first of July. What is wrong? I just don't get it.

Actually the next set fruit sounds dead too so it has to be the same. I have two other way younger fruits that are almost the same size that sound hollow ("ripe") but the tendril isn't dry yet.

20220928_120952.jpg20220928_121009.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks as if it stayed on the vine way too long and is overly ripe. What does it taste like? Perhaps just a bit off? Does the meat feel slick? What does the bottom of the melon look like where it is on the ground? I pick mine when the bottom is a bright yellow with no dark areas, just a solid yellow patch. I have never had any luck with the thumping and a hollow sound method. I suppose it is because there is nothing to compare it to, so how do you know what the hollow sound is supposed to sound like. And the dried stem method is a crock AFAIAC. If a stem is dried when picked the melon is too ripe. Same thing with the tendril. Sometimes the tendril will dry but other times it doesn't. The Crimson Sweet is supposed to have a bright red meat. The picture shows a milky colored meat another sign of overripeness. Also the seeds look to be fully mature. If picked too early they will be soft and a whiteish color. I think you just waited too long to pick, but, melons can be tricky and grow differently in different areas. So take my words with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't taste it but it smelled like an under ripe watermelon, basically smelled more like rind than melon. I also didn't feel it but the innards appeared to be slimy looking. I think that hollow cavity was full of water. There is another one out there just like it I believe. It is past its due date too but I also have 2 more that might just be ripe then.

The bottom had a bit of yellowing. I've been growing mine on rocks for the past few years so the yellowing thing doesn't seem to work the same as if it were laying on dirt. I've found growing them on rocks mostly eliminates fungal problems unless it comes up through the roots like verticillium wilt.

Maybe I should forget the hollow sound thing and dry tendril thing then? I have more out there and I can examine and take more pics after I get my beans canned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't taste it but it smelled like an under ripe watermelon, basically smelled more like rind than melon. I also didn't feel it but the innards appeared to be slimy looking. I think that hollow cavity was full of water. There is another one out there just like it I believe. It is past its due date too but I also have 2 more that might just be ripe then.

The bottom had a bit of yellowing. I've been growing mine on rocks for the past few years so the yellowing thing doesn't seem to work the same as if it were laying on dirt. I've found growing them on rocks mostly eliminates fungal problems unless it comes up through the roots like verticillium wilt.

Maybe I should forget the hollow sound thing and dry tendril thing then? I have more out there and I can examine and take more pics after I get my beans canned.
I don't know if this applies to you or not but check out Hollow Heart Watermelon. This might be the entire problem.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...Maybe I should forget the hollow sound thing and dry tendril thing then? I have more out there and I can examine and take more pics after I get my beans canned.
Those watermelons can be tricky but green beans...it's the perfect time of year to can some great tasting green beans. I have about 10 more quarts to go. For some reason, they taste best this time of year instead of spring, IMO.

canned green beans.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know if this applies to you or not but check out Hollow Heart Watermelon. This might be the entire problem.

Hmmm. I did have a mild case of hollow heart in my beets in late Spring. In the back of my mind it seemed like the same thing. I haven't really research it much but I'm guessing it is the same pathogen, just affecting watermelons?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmmm. I did have a mild case of hollow heart in my beets in late Spring. In the back of my mind it seemed like the same thing. I haven't really research it much but I'm guessing it is the same pathogen, just affecting watermelons?
Hollow heart in watermelons is a pollination problem sort of like fat pointy end cucumbers when they are improperly pollinated. Interior cracked beets is caused by a sudden influx of water OR a boron deficiency. Have you changed planting locations?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is my setup.

20220929_180040.jpg 20220929_180058.jpg

In the right pic, the top watermermelon (younger) thumps hollow, the bottom one (older) thumps a dead sound. Total difference in sound. Neither tendril is dried up.

Here are the watermelons rolled over.
Top melon:
20220929_180156.jpg
Bottom melon:
20220929_180129.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hollow heart in watermelons is a pollination problem sort of like fat pointy end cucumbers when they are improperly pollinated. Interior cracked beets is caused by a sudden influx of water OR a boron deficiency. Have you changed planting locations?
I think your on to something. I have cucumbers right there on a trellis (you might kinda see a leaf on the left) and this year the cucumbers have mostly become fat and pointy on the blossom end, this year only. No I haven't moved those around. I made that a few years ago just for those plantings and those are the only things that went in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is a cucumber speak of and to add another fact to the matter, the pollination in this area was crappy all year long. Not sure what the problem was.
20220929_191029.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think your on to something. I have cucumbers right there on a trellis (you might kinda see a leaf on the left) and this year the cucumbers have mostly become fat and pointy on the blossom end, this year only. No I haven't moved those around. I made that a few years ago just for those plantings and those are the only things that went in there.
Well, I guess that settles that. Improper pollination is the culprit.
Here is a cucumber speak of and to add another fact to the matter, the pollination in this area was crappy all year long. Not sure what the problem was.
View attachment 93044
Mine was bad during the first part of the season but it turned into a normal pattern after about a month. I had plenty of pollinators but the weather was so dry it did something to the pollen but then we got a little rain and changed things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes I think you are right.

About 50 yards away is my garden that had other type of cucurbits of yellow squash, butternut squash, red kuri squash, honey boat squash, and not to mention corn, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, okra. They all had good pollination down there. Just that one location sucked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The watermelon in the top left portion of the pic was ripe and great tasting. It sat upon a big rock the whole time, sandstone I think. No white/yellow spot or hardly even a blemsih on the bottom of the fruit, tendril was still green, thumping sound was hollow. So if the hollow sound isn't dependable, then there must not be a 100% reliable way to really know.

I thought about writing the date on the melon when it starts to swell with a sharpie and try to figure up the days till ripeness after that. Do you see anything wrong with that method?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The watermelon in the top left portion of the pic was ripe and great tasting. It sat upon a big rock the whole time, sandstone I think. No white/yellow spot or hardly even a blemsih on the bottom of the fruit, tendril was still green, thumping sound was hollow. So if the hollow sound isn't dependable, then there must not be a 100% reliable way to really know.

I thought about writing the date on the melon when it starts to swell with a sharpie and try to figure up the days till ripeness after that. Do you see anything wrong with that method?
Nothing wrong I can think of except finding a sharpie that the ink doesn't dissappear.

Ask a Question