Watermelon plant dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Black Diamond water melon in a 25 gallon container. It's been growing very well up until a couple of days ago. I first noticed the leaves turning yellow, then parts of the leaf turning brown, then the entire leaf dies. About half of the plant is dead or dying.

Soil is miracle grow potting soil amended with cow manure, compost, gypsum, rock phosphate. Gypsum and rock phosphate is for calcium.

I water once a day since it's in a container and the soil dries quickly, fertilize with miracle grow tomato shake and feed.

The white stuff on the leaves is the daconil I sprayed in an attempt to stop this. The plant also has damage from leaf miners.

Anyone have an idea as to what might be wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated! I'd like to save the plant if possible...
IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0054.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant's not getting overhead watering by any chance, is it? Watermelon plants can get bacterial spots on their leaves and overhead watering definitely aggravates it. If that's what it is, you'll want to take off the affected leaves and be sure to clean up your tools, gloves, etc before messing around with your other plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As above. Overhead watering and too much water. It would not be amiss to apply Epsom Salt either. How is the fruiting process doing? Are the fruits stunted? Do they have black areas on them? It would be a big help if you updated and let us know where you are located and which zone. It would be of great benefit to you to stop using Scotts and Miracle Gro products too. Just because they advertise on TV doesn't mean diddly squat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The plant's not getting overhead watering by any chance, is it? Watermelon plants can get bacterial spots on their leaves and overhead watering definitely aggravates it. If that's what it is, you'll want to take off the affected leaves and be sure to clean up your tools, gloves, etc before messing around with your other plants.
I agree with this. Melons, watermelons and other crawlers like squash should be adequately watered in the roots only and avoid getting the leaves wet. Particularly when the sun is hot, wet leaves tend to wilt and be burned - the water will be like boiling on the leaves, that's what causes it to turn brown. Another thing, be sure there are no weeds under the vines.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My mom's melon vine started to look like yours, but it is only because we are going into fall and the weather is getting colder. Not sure what State you're in, but I think the temperature has something to do with it too.

Ask a Question