Pumpkins

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Hey, I’m a student in Cyprus specifically in the capital Nicosia.

I just got the idea of planting pumpkins but I think it might be too late.

Despite that, I saw that miniature Jack be Little pumpkins only need 85 days from germination to harvest. Additionally, the weather here in Nicosia is still mid-summer like (33 degrees Celsius today).

Do you guys think it can be done?

Thank you very much

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
If your first frost happens before about Dec. 1 or so, it probably won't work.

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
If your first frost happens before about Dec. 1 or so, it probably won't work.
To be honest, we don’t exactly have frosts. Normally, It doesn’t snow here although it did in April last year for some reason. The lowest temperatures in December only reach 5-10 degrees Celsius

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I planted a jack o lantern a few months ago and it gave me one small pumpkin. It’s in full sun and I gave ok water. What do I do to have bigger pumpkins next year?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Some varieties
What do I do to have bigger pumpkins next year?
Be sure to select a variety that produces pumpkins at the size you want. Also, pumpkins don't produce well in temps above 90 deg. F which is about all summer long here and makes it very difficult to grow them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Some varieties

Be sure to select a variety that produces pumpkins at the size you want. Also, pumpkins don't produce well in temps above 90 deg. F which is about all summer long here and makes it very difficult to grow them.
Thanks. Do you know how watermelons and cantaloupes' growing conditions are different (if they are) compared to pumpkins in terms of water, weather, etc?

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Well, watermelons thrive on hot days and warm nights. This summer was the best one I've had for growing watermelons. They produced incredible numbers and delicious taste due to dry conditions before harvest. Very easy to grow, just need good fertile soil and about 20 ft to roam.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, watermelons thrive on hot days and warm nights. This summer was the best one I've had for growing watermelons. They produced incredible numbers and delicious taste due to dry conditions before harvest. Very easy to grow, just need good fertile soil and about 20 ft to roam.
When did you plant this year in terms of days/weeks after the last frost date? I think 2-3 weeks after the last frost date since they like warmth.
Seed/transplant? If seed, when did you start them?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
There is nothing to be gained and much to be lost starting too soon with watermelons. I plant seeds in the ground, watermelon does not transplant readily, at least one month after last frost.

Ask a Question