ISO advice for pumpkins grown vertically>horizontally b/w poles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Greetings - I am a greenhorn with a brown thumb, and I'm looking for some advice, resources, and/or words of wisdom.

I have a small yard space at the home I rent in NW Montana. I've been researching vertical/container gardening so I can limit the amount of yard digging and prevent a jungle of vines that the homeowner's landscapers have to mow around.

I'm hoping to grow 1-2 jack o'lantern pumpkin plants in the sunniest part of the yard, which also happens to have two heavy-duty, T-shaped metal poles from an old clothesline. They are about 6 ft tall, 3 ft wide at the top, and 25 ft apart.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how I could take advantage of this area? I had a vision of growing the pumpkins up a vertical trellis and bridging across some sort of horizontal trellis to the other pole. But is this too pie-in-the-sky? Has anyone ever had a similar setup? What sort of materials should I use (bearing in mind I have no power tools)? What about nylon - could it hold the weight? And on a similar note, would sharing the setup with butternut squash be feasible (possibly having the pumpkin/squash meet in the middle)?

Thanks in advance for the input!
-raff

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
A great pumpkin choice for trellis/pole growing is the long pie pumpkin. However, it really isn't a jack-o-lantern pumpkin, rather an eating pumpkin. It is the only pumpkin I have found that is successful in my East Texas heat and humidity. Started in August it produces generous amounts of excellent tasting pumpkin for fall.

long pie pumpkin  2019.JPG

It is a beautiful growing plant that produces the least stringy fruit you will ever taste in a pumpkin pie. I wouldn't advise planting in proximity with squash as you mentioned because of the similarities and crossing likelihood.

long pie 2 2019.JPG

long pie pumkin 2.JPG

A special taste treat!

Ask a Question