Pumpkins - good cultivar for seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Each year we roast the seeds from the Halloween jack-o-lanterns and we REALLY like the roasted seeds. Does anyone have a good cultivar of pumpkin or squash that has a lot of seeds - essentially bred for seed production - they could recommend?

This year we carved 6 pumpkins and sorted the seeds from all of them. But with 5 people we're running out of snack seeds fast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Hubbard. you get about 2x the amount of seeds out of a Hubbard than you do others. and they taste great

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Thanks @skinyea - I'll add Hubbard to my garden next year.

Have you seen these get much pressure from squash vine borrers? I've tended to the other squashes in my old garden (3 states away) as C. maxima was being hit hard by vine borrers but C. moschata, like butternut and Cinderella pumpkin, has a solid vine so borrers aren't a problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States

Have you seen these get much pressure from squash vine borrers? I've tended to the other squashes in my old garden (3 states away) as C. maxima was being hit hard by vine borrers but C. moschata, like butternut and Cinderella pumpkin, has a solid vine so borrers aren't a problem.

squash bugs are more

Squash bugs are a problem with Hubbards. I had a bad case of them this year. I came down with the rona this summer, and didnt go to the Hubbard garden for almost 3 weeks. squash bugs were bad. i had to squish 1000s of them. thankfully i was able o use all squash.

Ask a Question