Proper pruning out of control apple trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
From what I can see it appears that the tree is planted at or slightly above the beginning of the graft. I would guesstimate that the tree is planted about 4-6 inches too deep, possibly deeper. Google root flare pictures. There are a lot of pictures showing what trees should look like.
Is it worth digging around the trees to try and save them or is it a lost cause?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is it worth digging around the trees to try and save them or is it a lost cause?
If the foliage is still good and not diseased dig out all the dirt for at least a 3 foot diameter as deep as the root flare. Then fill up with mulch but keep the mulch away from the flare.
It would be better to dig out the dirt to a slightly larger diameter than the drip line of the tree. Also in late winter fertilize with a good organic fertilizer. The digging out of the excess soil, mulching and fertilizing should give you a good idea of what you have plus adding years to the longevity of the tree. I wouldn't prune the tops for a couple of years. Give the tree a chance to regain its health before stressing it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question