Possible to dehydrate/dry ginger and keep medicinal properties?

Reaction score
I was wondering if it'd be possible to dry say ginger and keep its medicinal properties, especially its antiemetic properties.
Would it be possible to do it with grated ginger or is that too fine?
How would i go about drying and storing the rhizome? How long would i be able to store it for?

I'm gonna be using it for tea, i think it'd be a lot easier to just keep it dehydrated and just put some in a pot along with tea, rather than peeling, then grating it. I have some psychological problems that make that process really hard.

Reaction score
I think it has to be possible since ginger powder is just dehydrated ginger. Have you tried using a dehydrator for that purpose yet. I am not sure of this because I've never done it but it does seem like it is worth a try.

Reaction score
I would suggest doing the freezing method, putting different herbs into an ice tray with minimal water on top. Ginger especially keeps it's potency after drying out. I would say yes, it does still hold medicinal value.

Ask a Question