Proper names for plants

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I am wondering how do you all remember the correct names for plants and flowers. Many of the plants and flowers posted I know then but just by another name. Is it bad that I do not really know the correct name for flower?. Apart from common flowers like Hibiscus, Poinsettias and a few more.

Let me give you an example:
There is a common bush that we drink mostly when we have a cold. Now, my grandmother calls it 'Ram Goat National'..yes ... go ahead and smile.. but that is what everyone calls the bush. So.. please tell me, How do you remember the correct names of the flowers and plants you grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am wondering how do you all remember the correct names for plants and flowers. Many of the plants and flowers posted I know then but just by another name. Is it bad that I do not really know the correct name for flower?. Apart from common flowers like Hibiscus, Poinsettias and a few more.

Let me give you an example:
There is a common bush that we drink mostly when we have a cold. Now, my grandmother calls it 'Ram Goat National'..yes ... go ahead and smile.. but that is what everyone calls the bush. So.. please tell me, How do you remember the correct names of the flowers and plants you grow?
ShanniB, most times I don't know the names. I have to look them up and even then it can be challenging. Take Camellias for instance. I think I want to start growing them after the holidays so I am researching which ones I want to buy. I have found 50 different Camellia species and there are over 3000 cultivars. The species I am interested in is Camellia Japonica which has 2000 cultivars! It's craziness. I am constantly googling plant names...more so now than ever before since joining this forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm old LOL so many I remember just because I've been planting them for years. Simple repetition. :)

I try to be organized when I plant my vegetable garden and stick the little tabs (for instance, showing the variety of tomato) in the soil or taped to the support so I remember what I planted where. But I forget a lot too and like @Java Guy I either google, or during growing season stop by my favourite greenhouse and wander around to jog my memory.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm old LOL so many I remember just because I've been planting them for years. Simple repetition. :)

I try to be organized when I plant my vegetable garden and stick the little tabs (for instance, showing the variety of tomato) in the soil or taped to the support so I remember what I planted where. But I forget a lot too and like @Java Guy I either google, or during growing season stop by my favourite greenhouse and wander around to jog my memory.
Funny you mention the little tabs to help identify your plants. I still have the tabs that the fuchsias I bought in the spring came with. Foolishly, I took cuttings from them a few month ago and did not label the cuttings. Then I cut down the original fuchsias and put them in smaller pots. While doing this, I mixed up my labels so now I don't know what plant is what grrrrr :mad:!! Label label label everyone! Don't be a doofus like me :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, to be honest, I don't remember most names either, especially since English isn't my first language. Fortunately, many people post pictures of their plants, so I know what they're talking about:D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol. I also have a hard time with remembering name's so I just use google to find the correct name's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know the name of most flowers so remembering their names would be almost impossible :) If I come across a new flower that I haven't seen before, I took a picture and the Google it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Some I do some I don't. too many on my property to remember. I am just pleased I remember that there is a plant in that area to come back in the spring, or where all the thousands of bulbs are planted to not plant in that area. If I remember what letter they start with that is good.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Oh wow, I am feeling much better now, whew, that's a relief.....:whistle:.. I will also google and find out the correct name, may even make little tags but I would also have to put the Jamaican name as well... I won't promise to always get it right and most times I may even quote the Jamaican name but I think we all can have lots of in trying to identity the correct name of the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The botanical names of plants are used world wide and can be understood in any language. Common names of plants tend to be used in our own countries and quite often not recognised by others. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Even in a small country like England plants can have several different local names, take Arum maculatum for example, it's called Lords and Ladies, Cuckoo pint or Dog's dickies depending where you are.

Reaction score
I will be the first person to tell you that it's hard for me to remember the names of plants. The ones I do have memorized are the ones I have. Other than that, I couldn't identify a plant to save my life. It's one of the main reasons I stay out of the identifying threads. I don't think it'd be fair for me to try and figure anything out.

I tend to just memorize what I have by constantly talking about them.

Ask a Question