plant1.jpg
plant2.jpg
plant3.jpg
plant1.jpg plant2.jpg plant3.jpg
photo.php
photo.php
photo.php

Hello, everyone.

I need help/advice regarding my tomato plant.

* It's been four weeks now since I planted my tomato seeds.
* I decided to spray some fertilizer on it.
* When I came back the following day to check on it, I found that the small leaves have withered. However, the larger ones were unaffected.
* I've attached an image of the fertilizer I used and my tomato plant

I'm just wondering if my tomato will be okay and should I continue using the fertilizer I bought. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 16459 View attachment 16460 View attachment 16461 View attachment 16459 View attachment 16460 View attachment 16461
photo.php
photo.php
photo.php

Hello, everyone.

I need help/advice regarding my tomato plant.

* It's been four weeks now since I planted my tomato seeds.
* I decided to spray some fertilizer on it.
* When I came back the following day to check on it, I found that the small leaves have withered. However, the larger ones were unaffected.
* I've attached an image of the fertilizer I used and my tomato plant

I'm just wondering if my tomato will be okay and should I continue using the fertilizer I bought. Thanks!
That is a fairly strong chemical fertilizer and it will burn your plants leaves and roots if you did not mix it according to specifications. Those tomatoes are more than ready to put into the ground. If your plants other leaves turn yellow and wilt you mixed the fertilizer to strong. You do not need to apply the fertilizer to the plant, just the soil.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
That is a fairly strong chemical fertilizer and it will burn your plants leaves and roots if you did not mix it according to specifications. Those tomatoes are more than ready to put into the ground. If your plants other leaves turn yellow and wilt you mixed the fertilizer to strong. You do not need to apply the fertilizer to the plant, just the soil.

Thanks, Chuck! It hasn't withered yet so I guess I can still save this plant. I'll transfer them into three bigger pots.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
p1.jpg
p2.jpg

Hey, guys. I need your opinion. Is my tomato plant dead? should I start over again? This is the same plant that I posted last time. I decided to transfer one plant to a bigger to see whether it would still grow or not. But to my surprise, just a few after I transferred one plant, it sort of withered. Can I still save my plant? Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hey, guys. I need your opinion once more. I think my plants have been infected by wilt disease based on what I read online. Is there any way to save them? I wrapped up the pot in plastics for now in the hopes of saving them, because I read that heating up the soil will kill the fungus that's been causing this. Damn it. I never knew it could be this frustrating. I lost the second plant I transplanted already. It just withered completely. The base of the plant and some stems became soggy.

Should I just start over again?
plant1.jpg
plant2.jpg
plant3.jpg
plant4.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Having reread the entire thread and saw the picture of the fertilizer you are using I will have to change my previous opinion.
On you latest posting you showed 4 pictures. The first two are the most disturbing. Tomato stems are not supposed to be yellow and they look to be very leggy with little foliage. The third picture looks like a fungus and the last picture shows two things, leaf miners and fertilizer burn on the tips of the leaves.
The white fungus first: You can get rid of it easily by using a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide in a quart of water. Or you can use a tablespoon of baking soda in a quart of water. You can use Neem Oil or a copper based fungicide.. TAKE THE PLASTIC OFF OF YOU PLANT. Yes, heating the soil will kill the fungus but the temperature required to kill the fungus will also kill your plant. All you are doing is making an airless environment, an environment perfect for growing fungi.
Fertilizer: That is a foliar fertilizer. For use on foliage. Your tomatoes roots need food too and this is why I think the stems are yellow. 19-19-19 is way to strong for most gardening uses. It is why the leaf tips in picture 4 are all brown. It was sprayed with too strong a mixture. Get some regular fertilizer, organic if you can, but if not something like 12-6-8 or 10-6-12 or even 10-10-10. About the best you can get is composted chicken manure.
Leaf miners; A minor issue not to worry about and once you have them there is nothing you can do except remove the leaf. I just ignore them.
What I would do at this time is get some more plants and plant them, keeping the plants you have and trying to save them. Your main problem was the nutrition the plants were not getting. A well fed tomato plant is a healthy plant. Yours started off good but during the past couple of weeks went downhill.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't even try to save the ones you have; you'll be expending effort and space on them for very little reward.
Get rid, replace.
Tomato plants seldom require foliar feed, just to correct a deficiency, and they dislike wet leaves, which is where your fungal infection started,

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Thanks again for you advice, Chuck. I have removed the plastic from the other pot. I kept the other pot covered. It's not completely enclosed. It seems that it's gotten stronger as there are new leaves growing and the main stem got bulkier. It looks much better than this picture below. I'll be experimenting with the two pots. I've removed most of the infected leaf as well. I also planted a new batch of tomato plants.
plastic.jpg

new_batch.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Thanks, Headfullofbees. I'm keeping the first batch and see what happens. I'm kind of feeling sentimental about it since it's my first plant. I've planted a new batch anyways. ^_^

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'll also be experimenting with Vermicast wormcasting as a fertilizer and with Jobes fertilizer spikes. I can't find a fertilizer with the ratio you suggested. Jobes fertilizer spike ratio is 6-18-6 and I've used it on the other pot to see what happens.

Ask a Question