Property Border Trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am looking for a fast-growing, nice looking type of tree to border the property line between mine and my neighbor's property. There are no obstructions there, and I would prefer trees over hedges or shrubs. I really love the look of Magnolia trees, however, planting them the entire length of my property would be quite costly. Do you have any suggestions for an inexpensive, fast-growing temperate climate tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am looking for a fast-growing, nice looking type of tree to border the property line between mine and my neighbor's property. There are no obstructions there, and I would prefer trees over hedges or shrubs. I really love the look of Magnolia trees, however, planting them the entire length of my property would be quite costly. Do you have any suggestions for an inexpensive, fast-growing temperate climate tree?
Where do you live? There are temperate zones and then there are temperate zones. Temps aren't the only thing that matters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
When we cleaned the vacant lot beside our property, we planted mulberry as the border fence, that is to let the people know that we are making a garden out of that vacant lot. The mulberry grows fast and what's good is that it bears edible berries that we love to eat. Mulberry can grow from cuttings. Just stick a branch on the ground and water it, you may not notice but it will have new leaves in a week or 2.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The Emerald Green Arborvitae are popular because they don’t grow more than 2-3’ wide, and don’t require any pruning. Leyland Cypress and Excelsa Cedar will grow to be 12-15’ wide, English Laurel 20’ wide, and the Douglas Fir and Western Red Cedar can grow as wide as 50-60 feet. These trees can be pruned to stay in a smaller space, but pruning is tough and/or expensive work. Source http://www.nurserytrees.com/instant privacy--selecting the right tree.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Where do you live? There are temperate zones and then there are temperate zones. Temps aren't the only thing that matters

I live in hardiness zone 6a. We have pretty cold winters with lots of snow, 4 full seasons. I would prefer to stay away from arbovitaes and those types of border shrubs. I prefer full, taller trees, either decidous or coniferous, something that grows fast but will be easy to maintain and will look nice as a property border.

Ask a Question