Problems with Plumbago

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi All,

My outdoor, container-based plumbago (plumbago auriculata, cape leadwort) is finally growing well but still shows signs of problems.

I have just re-potted it in acidic soil and added 10% sand to help with drainage, as I know that's important. I think I had been over-watering so now only watering once per week. It's quite hot and dry now (I live in Madrid, USDA Zone 9a) so I wonder if I should water it more. I have two queries and I'd be very grateful for anyone's help!

Firstly, new leaves are sometimes shrivelling and turning completely brown, like in first photo. What could be causing this?

Secondly, there seems to be a fine white powder gathering on some of the leaves, like in second photo. Is this normal or could it be some kind of bacterial infection?

The third photo is of the whole plant in its container...

Once again, thanks so much for any help!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 75
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you have the start of powdery mildew, and have included a link for you to look at. Welcome to our forums.

Make sure you give enough water to keep those roots damp at all times.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

You are growing a large vine in fairly small pot. Let the soil surface begin to dry between irrigation, but do water it regularly. Of course, the soil and container must drain well. Are there drainage holes on that container? Also Cape Leadwort (Plumbago auriculata) does best in full to part sun situations. How many hours of sun does your plant get?
Plumbago auriculata is in the Leadwort Family (Plumbaginaceae) and is native to South Africa and Mozambique.

The white powder does not look like powdery mildew. It might just be dust or ash that is blown in by the wind. For now just observe and try to figure out when it is deposited, day or night? windy or still?

Ask a Question