Calathea problems

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hi everyone. I have a calathea ornata, that lately has been showing me a few issues. The bottoms leaves are turning yellow and I have one leaf showing some dark spots and yellowing. Is this a fungal situation? How should I treat it? Thank you so much!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 50
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Calathea in my opinion is one of the most difficult house plants to keep it looking beautiful. Very high maintenance.

The issue i have noticed is sunlight, humidity, dusty leaves, dry soil. Sun will yellow the leaves and cause spots. Same if the soil dries out. They only like filtered bright light as they are bottom dwellers. Mine do the best in this bathroom I have because it gets humidity from showers and bathrooms naturally will have a higher humidity due to all the running water, and the sky light is frosted. Meaning direct sunlight does not hit it,only filtered light which is bright. Be sure to dust off the leaves with a moist towel, they really like it!

Some say only give it distilled water. I dont and just give from the sink, but we have great tap water here from Lake Michigan. I am not sure where you live, but if have very hard water or a water softener you may have to give it distilled water too.

See how much of a pain and maintenance this plant is???? Lol

Ask a Question