Cucumber plant problems

Kat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I am growing mini cucumbers (cornichon) indoors under a grow light, alongside a few other plants that are doing well. The cucumber plant has been struggling though. The leaves have been turning yellow and dying for a while, and the growth seems to be stunted. I read that it might be a potassium deficiency if the old leaves are dying and the new ones are kind of cupped/puckered. This seems to match what’s happening to my plant. Pictures attached. I’ve started feeding with a balanced fertiliser which seemed to help at first, but now the plant seems to be struggling again. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 7B7B6EAE-8F41-4702-BFF5-A021B755578A.jpeg
    7B7B6EAE-8F41-4702-BFF5-A021B755578A.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 1AA87750-0778-4B78-BA00-87A5BCC7C85F.jpeg
    1AA87750-0778-4B78-BA00-87A5BCC7C85F.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 65
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Looks very much like you have a nitrogen deficiency too.
If you have access to herbivore (cattle/horse/sheep) or chicken manure, steep it in water for two hours, before using a little on your growing bed, leave the manure in to strengthen the brew, then use at every other watering.

Kat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you! All I have access to is organic liquid feed. I have several kinds, and have already been feeding weekly with a 3-5-4 feed at about 2-3ml per litre. I could increase the concentration?!
It’s strange because other types of plant right next to this one have been treated the same and are large and thriving!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Do not increase concentration, use at the concentration stated.
My fear is root rot.
Water as little as possible, & water & feed at approx 3" away from the stem.
Put a layer of DRY compost in a 2" dia ring around the stem to encourage new root growth approx 1/2" deep to encourage new root growth, but don't water that compost at all, it will get damp enough for your new roots by capillary action.

Kat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, thank you very much for this! I will try it.
Much appreciated!

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have a magnifier, or handheld microscope, you should check the underside of the leaves and see if you have something like thrips. You need 10x to 15x magnification. I use a device like this:

or this:

I use them mostly for spider mites, but recently discovered thrips and damage a bit like I see in your photos. These devices are cheap and work really well for pests you can't see with your naked eye.

Ask a Question