Problem: Vermicompost and Accommodation

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I have a vermicompost that my girlfriend doesn't like to have inside the house so I think the only other spot would either be on the roof or temporarily in our parking space that we don't use (until we find an apartment mate who needs parking). How would I be able to accommodate the worms if I place them on the roof? OR how could i persuade my girlfriend to keep them in the house? Her fears are that the worms will escape, and the vermicompost will attract cockroaches or other pests.The odd thing is we have lots of indoor plants and she's the one that brought in some large indoor plants to stay in the living room and by our window sill.

For the rooftop problem: I'm in Mexico City where we have a strong sun. Currently, it's not as strong in the winter but I think it still heat up an enclosed space pretty nicely receiving sun all day. I'm only restricted to this cage designed to hang wet laundry so there isn't much shade provided by the building architecture but I could put up some piece of cloth somehow. I currently have my worms in a bucket and in a black crate supported by two garbage bags holding soil and covering the top.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
There is an optimum and minimum temperature for this to work. I can understand why your girlfriend doesn't fancy the idea. Sometimes, the worms escape:eek::eek::eek:! I shudder when I find slugs crawling in my house. Don't think you could put it up on the rooftop as the heat might kill the worms.

You could build a box to house the wormery or place it where there is a constant coolish (12c to 24c) temperature. The box comes with instructions, read it and use it accordingly. Some people put it in a garage, workshop. In you case, make sure the car park isn't too hot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
You will also want to consider the cold. Mexico City has an elevation of 2250 m (7500 ft) and can freeze in winter. They were posting freezing conditions in 18 EDOS yesterday.

Ask a Question