Preparations for Christmas

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Is anyone started to think about Christmas at all? Could be anything to do with it.

Yesterday i defrosted the freezer so that i can start thinking about it. Always do that so we can buy the Christmas gateau and next month i can start buying sausages for the stuffing and bacon to put on the Turkey that i bought some time ago because it was on offer and a big one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We're hardly prepared for Christmas. As my wife buys a lot of fresh (then freezes) and frozen food on-line.
The freezer part of the fridge/freezer in the kitchen is usually full as are the two back-up freezerss in the room in the garage.
We usually go to the Iceland store in DEcember to get the more exotic items, like lobster tails and breaded scampi, they don't carry for the rest of the year.
But she's well on with making Christmas cards.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have just gotten to thinking about fall, and that is just because seeing leaves from the cherry and maples lets me know they are getting sleepy. Its forecast to be 100f today and a White Christmas is not on my mind yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I am actually been thinking of traveling to Ohio for Thanksgiving to spend the week with my Ohio cousins. That is a 6 hour drive for me. Debated flying, but then I can't on the way back go to my favorite Jewish deli and pick up yummy stuff to take home. Or stop by Pittsburgh to see my favorite Foodie store. Wonder if Europe had Thanksgiving, when you'd be starting that discussion. LOL.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I am actually been thinking of traveling to Ohio for Thanksgiving to spend the week with my Ohio cousins. That is a 6 hour drive for me. Debated flying, but then I can't on the way back go to my favorite Jewish deli and pick up yummy stuff to take home. Or stop by Pittsburgh to see my favorite Foodie store. Wonder if Europe had Thanksgiving, when you'd be starting that discussion. LOL.
That's a great idea if you really want to go then go.:)
No we don't celebrate Thanksgiving over here, some celebrate the harvest festival, it's not a holiday like for you. At school we went to church and donated food for the old people. At school we took them a box of food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
That's a great idea if you really want to go then go.:)
No we don't celebrate Thanksgiving over here, some celebrate the harvest festival, it's not a holiday like for you. At school we went to church and donated food for the old people. At school we took them a box of food.
Yes, I know you don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Guess I should re-phrase that. "What if UK celebrated something like Thanksgiving, when would they get started with it". I have been involved with a wonderful cooking group for the past 20 years, most of the members are from the UK, or other parts of Europe. Learned a lot of the food type celebrations they do.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I know you don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Guess I should re-phrase that. "What if UK celebrated something like Thanksgiving, when would they get started with it". I have been involved with a wonderful cooking group for the past 20 years, most of the members are from the UK, or other parts of Europe. Learned a lot of the food type celebrations they do.
:)
Some people might celebrate harvest festival but it's not a holiday thing like Thanksgiving. We just celebrate Christmas.:)

That's great about the cooking group, it must give you some idea about it.

Of course there are a lot of religions here so it could be different for them. :)

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

Good question Logan. Bonfire night first then Christmas full on in the stores; Bron has already received information about Christmas Card materials.

The best thing I like about Christmas is Easter because Christmas to me is so false. I don't celebrate any religion but good luck to those of you do.

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought the gateau for Christmas, a triple chocolate one.

I defrosted the freezer the other day so that i would have room for it.

I used to wait until November to get things but it's not so stressful doing it earlier and much more enjoyable. :)

Yes Colin the card making does start early because they take a long time. My friend Keith starts his in September.

I'm not religious but i do enjoy it.

Ask a Question