Preparations for Christmas

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan. Bron makes Christmas cards throughout the year so she's always got lots ready. We also do our Christmas shopping very early avoiding stores as much as possible on the run up to Christmas. I can never understand all the fuss just for two days holiday apart from an excuse to throw money away on presents that possibly get dumped immediately after Christmas. Last week in November or first week in December I ask Bron where she would like to enjoy some well earned retail therapy and it's usually M&S in Pudsey or M&S in Meadowhall; we never bother with New Year sales either where so many items are bought on impulse then dumped. Christmas presents for friends are also bought throughout the year and stored. We've not got family so all we want for Christmas is two full days of peace without visitors just enjoying each other's company. I'm food intolerant of dairy products but I enjoy dark chocolate so for Christmas every year I buy two big boxes of Black Magic chocolates and scoff these from Christmas day until New Years day; I've got everything I want or need so presents mean little to me; if there's something I fancy I simply buy it at the time not needing an excuse. Bron's just bought me an AC/DC TIG welder because I was taught arc welding 55 years ago but have never tried TIG welding so an whole new world for me to play in.

We've not had an holiday away from home for the last 42 years being content and comfortable as we are.

After Christmas is the best part of the year for us with springtime to look forward to after our long dreary winter; when everything bursts into life once again; springtime is so magical bringing a new season in the gardens lifting our spirits. Our biggest problems are Blackie & Gale putting down so much rain and trying to remove our bungalow from the valley side the year round; as usual it's pouring with rain as I type but Gale must be having a breather.

We're all different and our simple lifestyle wouldn't suit many these days but we can say we're happy.

Kind regards, Colin.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well, after spending 6 weeks making candied fruit for everyone a few years back, only to see a recipient gulp it all down with a large spoon as an addendum to his four course Christmas dinner in 30 seconds, i'm growing everyone Loofahs this year and sod em :whistle:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes colin we feel the same way, but we don't have to buy any presents these days. Even our son doesn't want anything, as well as his birthday. As you say Christmas is the turning point for the new season and look forward to spring.

I like dark chocolate so a few years ago i had 2 bars for Christmas but i was eating too much and i came out in a rash.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We also don't buy many gifts, as both of us, Husband and I have enough stuff. Rather spend money on an experience. I do bake gifts for a few friends, as most are of the age where no one needs anything. But I won't bake until about the 2 nd week in December.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
That's a great idea and those sort of things can't bake in advance. The lady next door does that and she sells it to her work mates.
Yes, I have a HUGE bowl to mix a fruit type loaf batter in it. I can get 6 loaf tins out of it. And bake them all at the same time. And as its cold here by then, I have a large popcorn tin to keep them in, in the unheated garage till I start giving them out. That reminds me, have to look on like for fancy tin liners to bake in instead of the usual parchment paper. The recipe I usually make is Cranberry Apple Walnut bread, has some good cardamon in it. When you cut it its very pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Logan , have you ever frozen raw cookie dough for Christmas? When or if I decide to make Christmas cookies for Christmas. I will make my favorite recipe and roll the raw dough into a tube shaped, using wax paper and a good mailing tube from the Post Office for shaping, sliding it in the tube. Putting that in the freezer. after a day its all frozen solid. then take the cookie dough still wrapped in wax paper out of the mailing tube and wrap again with foil, putting it back in the freezer. Come December I simply take out the dough tube, slice off what I want to bake, sprinkle it, if wish, bake it and its Cookies. Been testing this method for years, find that the dough still tastes good and looks good even after a year wrapped well in the freezer. I do not thaw the dough first, by the way, but slice it frozen, not hard to slice.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Esther Knapicius I've seen recipes like that but i haven't done it myself, got too much frozen fruit in the freezer. But it sounds really good way to save time. In the past I've put short crust pastry already rolled and cut out for mince pies in the freezer. But i have to thaw it before i can use it, pastry and cookie dough does freeze well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Today, the butcher had out some turkey backs with necks. grabbed them up. of which now are simmering for the next 5 hours. will raise the fat and container the liquid for the freezer for later Turkey gravy or turkey soup etc. Home made goodness turkey bone broth.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Today, the butcher had out some turkey backs with necks. grabbed them up. of which now are simmering for the next 5 hours. will raise the fat and container the liquid for the freezer for later Turkey gravy or turkey soup etc. Home made goodness turkey bone broth.
That's great, i always use the turkey bones to make stock out of. Then i use it to roast the parsnips in with the juices from the turkey. It's surprising how much more meat i can get off the bones doing that. I always use the pressure cooker, it just takes 30 minutes that way and still get the same results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
That's great, i always use the turkey bones to make stock out of. Then i use it to roast the parsnips in with the juices from the turkey. It's surprising how much more meat i can get off the bones doing that. I always use the pressure cooker, it just takes 30 minutes that way and still get the same results.
well yes, that would be after I roast a actual Turkey for Thanksgiving. then about a week later after the pickings been done. the whole thing goes into a stock pot for 5 hours of simmering. But this is just raw backs and necks for now. also have made a Turkey pot pie for freezer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has started on the many decoupage Christmas cards she makes every year for friends and family.

It becomes a labour of love, as they each have to be "just right." I think it causes her unnecesary stress, but it's her hobby and it's not for me to criticise.

I guess I don't help, as she always ends up with lots to do and starts to be conscious that she could run out of time. Particularly when I start playing this now and again on my leccy piano, starting in September.

Ask a Question