Potting Bench

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am gathering ideas for an outdoor potting bench. It will have a small roof I think. You may even call it a gardening bench as some activity will include 15 gallon containers. Anyway, if I promise not to paint it in camouflage colors or neon pink, can I elicit a few functional suggestions from you about what you like about your setup?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think the most important thing about a potting bench is its location. It MUST be under a big shade tree and MUST be extremely close to adult beverages. And thirdly, a comfortable chair is mandatory.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think the most important thing about a potting bench is its location. It MUST be under a big shade tree and MUST be extremely close to adult beverages. And thirdly, a comfortable chair is mandatory.
You know its hard to stop the wisdom of age from shining through the darkness! (Southernism for the English).

Wheels? A insert screen cutout area that can be changed out for different types of compost filtering? Is 8 feet too wide? What about depth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You know its hard to stop the wisdom of age from shining through the darkness! (Southernism for the English).

Wheels? A insert screen cutout area that can be changed out for different types of compost filtering? Is 8 feet too wide? What about depth?
Why would you need to filter compost except for planting seeds and making a seed starting mix? If it is going to be 8 feet wide it seems to me that wheels would be a must have or you have a draft horse to drag it around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Why would you need to filter compost except for planting seeds and making a seed starting mix? If it is going to be 8 feet wide it seems to me that wheels would be a must have or you have a draft horse to drag it around.
The yard compost I really filter with a pitchfork but frankly the filtering is only for sticks. I have never been a production potter but have literally ordered 150 buxus that are small and then may need up-pottery. I think a theme of flexibility entertains me best. I have a great deal of peppers I would love to pluck from the soil in their larger size and overwinter. I have no real clue about onions but certainly enough victims to effort a winter tray or 7... I would dearly love to spank a few English bottoms with a beautiful leek before it finds its way into my stockpot.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Some hooks for small garden tools like snips. Maybe an attachable rack for hanging/drying herbs. A light or two and a drink holder. A compartment for a small ice cooler. A Bluetooth radio and built in phone holder/charger. I would say some camo paint but.. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I vote for the neon pink :giggle:
And chuck you remind me so much of my dad lol ♥️

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds good thinking of one in my Greenhouse.

Working today and after awhile Hard Lemonade and recliner. Away from the work but call for.

My Son said I needed a big commercial Sink but I'm thinking keep it simple.

big rockpile

Ask a Question