Sterilize Potting Mix?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I sterilized the seed starting mix when I started my seeds indoors.
Some of my plants need to be "potted up" in bigger containers.
Do I need to sterilize the potting mix?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t sterilize it. I use fox farm or Kellogg’s organic potting soil. I throw a tablespoon of cinnamon in to deter mold but otherwise use it as is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You need to sterilize soils only for seedlings to prevent damping off disease. Once the seedlings have some size to them this disease does not apply. As @Eeilee sated cinnamon works well for prevention of other soil-born pathogens. So does whole ground/horticultural cornmeal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need to sterilize soils only for seedlings to prevent damping off disease. Once the seedlings have some size to them this disease does not apply. As @Eeilee sated cinnamon works well for prevention of other soil-born pathogens. So does whole ground/horticultural cornmeal.
No worry of fungus gnats?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fungus gnats themselves don’t do any damage ( besides flying up your nose) it’s the eggs they lay in the soil producing larva that eat delicate roots.
The trick is to keep mold from growing in the first place.
Overwatering is the biggest problem.
Cinnamon can reduce the problem as well.
Let your dirt dry an inch or so on top to deter gnats from laying eggs.
I bought a Katchy machine on Amazon and also use sticky traps to catch the adults.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As long as you don't keep your soil wet you will never have them. Fungus gnats are one of the first signs of watering too often.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sometimes gnat larva comes included in plants from nurseries.
I grow all my veggies from seed but I’ve been known to fail the temptation of a pot of Dalias.
In this case , repot right away.
I made the mistake of bringing in a pot that sat in the plant/seedling room for a couple of days while I waited for a clear day to put the new girl in the ground.
A gnat flew up my nose while I was eating and I wanted to kick my own ass when I realized I infested the whole plant room :nailbiting:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sometimes gnat larva comes included in plants from nurseries.
I grow all my veggies from seed but I’ve been known to fail the temptation of a pot of Dalias.
In this case , repot right away.
I made the mistake of bringing in a pot that sat in the plant/seedling room for a couple of days while I waited for a clear day to put the new girl in the ground.
A gnat flew up my nose while I was eating and I wanted to kick my own ass when I realized I infested the whole plant room :nailbiting:
Whoopsie! All the steps could fill a volume if you ever had time to write them down!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I sterilized the seed starting mix when I started my seeds indoors.
Some of my plants need to be "potted up" in bigger containers.
Do I need to sterilize the potting mix?
I'm no exert - I've only been gardening for 4-5 seasons. However, in that time I have never sterilized and have never used special seed starting mix. I use general purpose compost for everything. I don't think I've ever had failures and I've grown dozens of different types of plant.

Ask a Question