Rubber plant not showing any signs of progress after repotting

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello,
I am new to this platform.
I am desparately looking for some solution for my rubber plant. I recently repotted it. to a bigger pot. After repotting, the leaves drooped down, not completely drooping and not completely erect either. A few leaves are still erect and mostly the top part is flaccid. There is no leave yellowing or anything.
I tried checking the water levels, but at any point of time the soil is not completely wet. I check with a moisture meter. I have not added any fertilizer either and used ample amount of perlite to allow good drainage.
The plant is also placed right next to the window but doesn't receive sunlight.
where am I going wromg?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Possibly by looking for results too soon? How recently? Plants require patience, they are not as quick to react as us humans.

And welcome to the forum.
It's been almost 10 days.
There's no signs of improvement and now the leaves look dehydrated.
But I water it regularly. Sprayed the leaves also.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I am no expert when it comes to indoor plants. A quick look shows loads of videos on YouTube, but I notice that when people are recommending videos on house plants they often choose "Brainy Gardener", there is one on rubber plant losing leaves that looks fairly comprehensive. Temperature and light levels seem critical.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Sorry, I am no expert when it comes to indoor plants. A quick look shows loads of videos on YouTube, but I notice that when people are recommending videos on house plants they often choose "Brainy Gardener", there is one on rubber plant losing leaves that looks fairly comprehensive. Temperature and light levels seem critical.
The thing is half of the plant is drooping the half isn't. There's no yellowing or browning. And I have a big rectangular pot. There's another smaller rubber plant, the other one is growing fast !
That leaves me in confusion if one plant is happy and growing why the other is struggling?
I have moved the plant to another location. Let's see if it helps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is weird, only half the plant affected and what suits one doesn't suit the other. Makes you start wondering if someone emptied their drink in one side or buried their dog end, not that I am seriously suggesting it.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
That is weird, only half the plant affected and what suits one doesn't suit the other. Makes you start wondering if someone emptied their drink in one side or buried their dog end, not that I am seriously suggesting it.
That's also not happening. I check the moisture everyday

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From what I have seen on the videos they talk about not keeping it continuously moist, but letting it dry out and then saturating it, but presumably you are following the same regime on both plants.

Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
Maybe the plant is in shock from repotting. You mentioned it's only been a couple weeks now. Make sure you continue taking care of it and let it recover. She's not losing any leaves yet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi thought I'd pass along a lifetime + of success with rubber plants. Got lots of experience as a kid from my mom and guessing half a century on my own.
Two killers.... too much water and not enough light.
But let me touch on your repotting ? Not implying you did anything wrong but why did you repot and from/to what pot sizes?Any plant can get unhappy fast if the upsize is too much. Lots of wet soil with no roots in the new areas to absorb it.
I grow all mine indoors with grow lights but the unhappy rubber plants I've seen were victims of "houseplants as furniture syndrome" and were stuck in dark corners.
But guessing yours in too much water. Lowes and other places have a cheap moisture probe that helped me last year when I had a big one I repotted that wasn't happy. Turns out the surface area I could check with my finger was drying out buy the root ball was staying wet down deeper.
Once I started using this I would give it a few days of dry before watering again. I'm thinking you may have rot on one side and it might be time to let it go very dry then gently look at the root ball for rotting areas. If there are problems leaving the roots exposed and a fan blowing on them to try to get a feel for what's simply wet and what is rotted and needs surgery. If u need surgery keep in mind that these are pretty easy to root in water to get the plant going again. Even a leave with a good stem is easy to re-root so don't despair if you find the roots on half the plant are mush.. You can resurrect then.. We'll I hope this helps....good luck. Love these plants..
John

Ask a Question