Potatos from last year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I saved potato's from last years garden half are great. have good eyes I know will be successful. about 1/4 of them though have growth up to 6-9 inch long. I am assuming I should compost them but wanted to ask here first

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
assuming compost

Attachments

• potato.jpg
    potato.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No don't compost. I see some green but cant really see the potato part. The potato tuber might look like crap but there is energy there from what I can see. The potato is the energy source. Treat it like a cutting. Cut off the main stem so that one or two buds are there and plant the tuber so one bud is above the soil line, tuber is 4" deep.

I'm in 6b or 7a. Plant them now. If a frost or freeze (There will be some), cover with sawdust, mulch, whatever, or hoe up dirt around the buds to protect them. Those will grow potatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Those look just fine for planting. About 4 or 5 inches and cut side placed down.
I was forced to buy seed potatoes this year. Now is the time to get them in the ground. My area is in a zone 7 and I should have already planted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I strongly suspect that, since everything else has rocketed in price, seed potatoes will be even more expensive this year.
My main crop potatoes are always ready at the end of summer, so holding some back for next year is fine.
My first & second earlies, I am holding some back, to plant late, to keep them dormant longer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I strongly suspect that, since everything else has rocketed in price, seed potatoes will be even more expensive this year.
My main crop potatoes are always ready at the end of summer, so holding some back for next year is fine.
My first & second earlies, I am holding some back, to plant late, to keep them dormant longer.
My goal is to never buy Potatoes again.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My goal is to never buy Potatoes again.
Yes, yes!!! (y)

I'm there as far as eating potatoes goes...but I've got work to do yet on seed potatoes. They "had" been dirt cheap here and didn't justify saving seed but not anymore. They have skyrocketed in price and fallen in quality.

I'm looking for a potato I can use for a fall crop and definitely will have to save my own seed potato for that. Have 12 candidate varieties planted and under evaluation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Yes, yes!!! (y)

I'm there as far as eating potatoes goes...but I've got work to do yet on seed potatoes. They "had" been dirt cheap here and didn't justify saving seed but not anymore. They have skyrocketed in price and fallen in quality.

I'm looking for a potato I can use for a fall crop and definitely will have to save my own seed potato for that. Have 12 candidate varieties planted and under evaluation.
please keep us informed on what you choose

Reaction score
Country
United States
potato is very nutritious for human. But last year I failed to collect good seeds for early rain. It is really bad fore me. Because It is very expensive when we need.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
will post pics soon but the potato plants are looking great. got in the ground 04/01. flowered this past week. thank you all for all the great tips. promise to pass it forward...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
From above seed potatoes 51.25 lbs from 1 of my raised beds. I have 9 more beds like this one. Will dig up over next several weeks.
these I am going to smash some for dinner, make Potato salad for the 4th and can the rest. I have 14 pints from last years canning left over.

Each bed had 10-11Seed potatoes. If all turn out the same will have grown approximately 510lbs of potatoes from last year's remaining seed potato's.

Good times. thanks all for the tips.

Attachments

• 51.lb Potato july 2nd.jpg
    51.lb Potato july 2nd.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 4

Ask a Question