Popular Herbs

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are some popular and easy to grow herbs? I have an herb garden on my windowsill with basil, mint, cilantro, rosemary and parley. I’m not a big thyme fan. Does anyone have any other recommendations for herbs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I like Italian food and oregano is a must along with basil. How about a little spot of chives to go along with baked potatoes? Or how about a pork loin with rubbed sage? You might have to use more than one windowsill.

Reaction score
Oregano is definitely a must as someone said above. Chuck also beat me to mentioning the Sage. Have you ever tried Lemongrass? It's wonderful and might be good for you to grow if you enjoy teas or even Thai food. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I like oregano from an ease of growth perspective too, and rosemary - they've both been super easy for me to keep alive - and before then I was a bit of a novice herb grower! So I would say they are great, and they go well in a lot of dishes, too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Chive will be a good addition to your collection of herbs! I am looking forward to start my little window sill herbs soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You could also grow lemon verbena:) I bought mine in a supermarket, so I think it's quite popular. It such a lovely herb! It smells really nice and grows fast.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know oregano and Italian food go together but I hate the way it tastes. Lenongrass would be a good idea! Also what about wheatgrass? Has anyone tried growing it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What are some popular and easy to grow herbs? I have an herb garden on my windowsill with basil, mint, cilantro, rosemary and parley. I’m not a big thyme fan. Does anyone have any other recommendations for herbs?
Do you like sage or chives?

Reaction score
Basil, lavender, and mint are basics. I personally like the idea of growing my own cilantro, because I am really worried about pesticide residue in that kind of herbs. I think growing thyme and oregano is also a must. I'd also grow dill if I could, but for some reason I can't get it right, I've never been good at all growing things from seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lavender is wonderful and I have two lavender plants, but I don't use them in the kitchen, because I don't know how. I just smell them:) It's the most beautiful scent in the whole world.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love growing basil, rosemary, parley, mint and sage. Basil is my all time favorite herb. I use it on everything!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had the easiest time growing dill, cilantro, basil, chives, parsley, rosemary, sage, oregano, coriander, and thyme. I buy lemongrass in the grocery store and cut off the tops to cook with. The bottoms I put in the soil so it can continue to grow. I've heard mint is easy to grow but I hate the taste of it. If you have cats, catnip grows very well with those herbs. Most of these also work really well indoors if you are somewhere that snows or you live in a small apartment.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I love the smell of basil, very nice. I finally got some railing pots for herbs and growing chives, rosemary, lemongrass, parsley and summer savory. I never think of sage because it's not something I cook with and same goes for dill although I do like the smell of these as well. Has anyone ever planted Bay leaves? I think the plant is most commonly known as Bay Laurel. It's not so much an "herb" as it is a plant so I doubt it would do as well in railing pots but in a pot of it's own so it has room to grow. I do cook with those but with dry Bay leaves as opposed to fresh ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I always do parsley and basil every year, but this year, I'm also trying rosemary, oregano and stevia as well. Last year, I actually dried my parsley for the first time. It turned out pretty good.

Ask a Question