Planting hydrangea limelight in the summer ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I know that hydrangeas should be planted in the spring or fall but is it absolutely a bad idea to do it in the summer? When I first planted this limelight a month and a half ago(not established yet) I knew that they like full sun so I planted it in full sun (9:30-6:30) and recently the blooms are turning completely white instead of green and have brown on them meaning it's too much sun. So I want to plant them in morning sun afternoon shade area soon before they get completely fried. Is it viable to do it now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I know that hydrangeas should be planted in the spring or fall but is it absolutely a bad idea to do it in the summer? When I first planted this limelight a month and a half ago(not established yet) I knew that they like full sun so I planted it in full sun (9:30-6:30) and recently the blooms are turning completely white instead of green and have brown on them meaning it's too much sun. So I want to plant them in morning sun afternoon shade area soon before they get completely fried. Is it viable to do it now?

I am by no means an expert, I do have healthy hydranges though. I would think the summer full sun damage would be worse than transplanting them. I am in the banna belt area of Idaho and my hydrangea thrive in dappled morning sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am by no means an expert, I do have healthy hydranges though. I would think the summer full sun damage would be worse than transplanting them. I am in the banna belt area of Idaho and my hydrangea thrive in dappled morning sun.
So you would say it's ok to transplant them now? The average temperature here is 85

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Can you provide afternoon shade artificially? A tent of shade cloth, even an old umbrella staked into the ground will suffice. Then you can transplant at the optimal time--fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Can you provide afternoon shade artificially? A tent of shade cloth, even an old umbrella staked into the ground will suffice. Then you can transplant at the optimal time--fall.
Well not really because I have other plants around it and it'll shade them. And if I put an umbrella on it then it'll be shade all day, not just afternoon shade. And I am not home at those times as I have work so I can't just cover them at the right time. So summer transplanting, even if the hydrangea isn't even established yet, is a definite no no?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Also, I found a potential spot where I cant transplant my limelights. The spot get like 3-4 hours of morning sun and all shade after that. Is 3-4 hours too little for limelights? Now it says either full sun or partial sun so that would be ok right?

Ask a Question