Plant Database?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any good databases of plants out there? The only big one that I know of is the one on the RHS website (http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/).

I was tempted to add a database section to the site, where users could add their own photos and information - however it's quite a job to get enough data for it, so I'm still unsure about it. If there's already a good resource out there then I don't think it would be worth duplicating effort, but if there's not somewhere that allows users to submit data/photos then perhaps it would be interesting?

I'd be really keen on hearing any thoughts on this :).

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've found a few scientific ones, but they might be a bit heavy Ian, can't remember where they are now though.

The Natural History Museum's Postcode plant database has been closed down.

There's the Plant List...

http://www.theplantlist.org/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Zigs, it looks like there may be quite a few around then - the link looks like a very comprehensive one indeed!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No worries Ian, over a million plants, can't be bad :)

Shall we make a sticky with the links in, we could add to it if we find others?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, why not - good idea :). In time, I'll add a resources section to the site for links like this - but it may be helpful for now in the ID section.

Reaction score
Although I think it would be absolutely great to have a database section for all of us to use - am thinking that as this is an international forum - it could prove to be a bit of a nightmare trying to gather and incorporate accurate information as to how all plants respond in different climates.

As although I'm aware of a few sites that are fairly comprehensive and like Zigs has already mentioned - think they may well be a bit too heavy for the average gardener - none as yet - contain all the information for any particular plant species in one place - like for instance if looking for information on a plant - that is classed as a perennial in one climate but regarded as an annual in another or as to how much sun or shade a particular plant requires depending on which climate it is grown in etc - you would normally have to search more than one plant database - in order to get more specific information as to how that plant behaves and grows in that climatic zone.

After saying all that - I could however - be totally misunderstanding what you mean by providing a plant database section and that you are in fact - only meaning it to be used for identification purposes :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Although I think it would be absolutely great to have a database section for all of us to use - am thinking that as this is an international forum - it could prove to be a bit of a nightmare trying to gather and incorporate accurate information as to how all plants respond in different climates.

As although I'm aware of a few sites that are fairly comprehensive and like Zigs has already mentioned - think they may well be a bit too heavy for the average gardener - none as yet - contain all the information for any particular plant species in one place - like for instance if looking for information on a plant - that is classed as a perennial in one climate but regarded as an annual in another or as to how much sun or shade a particular plant requires depending on which climate it is grown in etc - you would normally have to search more than one plant database - in order to get more specific information as to how that plant behaves and grows in that climatic zone.

After saying all that - I could however - be totally misunderstanding what you mean by providing a plant database section and that you are in fact - only meaning it to be used for identification purposes :D

You're right about that Gata, Runner beans are treated as Annuals here, but they're perennials in frost free zones, must be a few things like that.

Reaction score
zigs - there are and many, many more plants than many people realize that fall into that category - which can of course be a real problem as well a big disappointment - to those who think that they've got the correct care and growing instructions for their plants - because the information came from a plant database - only to find - that in their climate - they should have done something totally different or even quite the opposite.

Reaction score
We have so many people who post that we could come up with quite a resource for everyone. Plant people can be very diligent and a tad obsessed about their gardens so I am sure that they will come up with some excellent sites.

Reaction score
Hi Ian! It sounds like quite a feat to accomplish, but I must admit it would be really interesting and useful to have a plant data base, so we could consult it whenever we need to. You would need to define quite well the fields that need to be filled tho, like for example scientific name versus common names in English. A small field with light and water needs would be good too, as well as a field with advices on how to take care of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I love plant databases and i love to contribute to them and to use them, and i have done on ATP, Dave's Garden, and Garden Stew (all brand X compared to GF, in my opinion which is why i am here) but i hope you don't mind my mentioning it. The thing is i have never found a problem with international folks adding data. If the USDA zones (or whatever zone you decide on) are defined and a database field is available, people will know where the plant grows and take that into consideration when thinking about whether or not they want to grow it. On some of the databases there is a "comments" section allowing for descriptions of any special characteristics (for example, "annual to zone 8, perennial zone 9 and up"). Of the other gardening forums on the web, for some years "Dave's Garden" was considered the most complete...the go to place for information regarding plants. Recently, however, in an update, someone decided that the information was too cumbersome to deal with and so eliminated all the data with the exception of a few photos and two other things i don't remember exactly. I think the two pieces of info that they kept has to do with the size of the plant, maybe height and spread, but everything else is gone after several years of people contributing it. Everyone on the internet used DG Plant Database, not just the members and this generated a lot of traffic for DG that is now gone with the data. As far as gardening forums go, i suspect that ATP is the most advanced and with the most comprehensive information. Still, i think a plant database would be worthwhile. Imagine what you would have 10 years from now and you never know when some other website is going to eliminate all their data. In terms of people entering data, they may not know some information, such as ideal soil Ph, etc. They can leave that information blank. Someone else will come along to fill it in. In terms of Botanical Names (you know how pesky those taxonomists are), you would want to establish the reference to be followed, such as the "Catalogue of Life"...i like this one particularly because it is updated more frequently than most of the others that i know about. I say, let's have a go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You make some very good points, @Beverly (y)

It has been a while since we have thought about introducing a database, so let me look into the logistics and I'll get back to you :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking in to how we can make the database and I've found some software that looks like it can do it, however if would be really handy if you could post a link to an example database entry page so that I can see what sort of things it should include :).

Are you thinking something like this?:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49213

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Yes something like. Here are two more links to gardenstew and ATP.

http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/9002817

http://allthingsplants.com/plants/propose/databox/112626/

Funny thing about ATP is that they consider themselves as more of a social media gardening site, than as a forum. So, when i have searched for info for gardening forums and/or plant information, they rarely come up. Come to think of it, i've never seen gardenstew come up either re their database. It has been awhile since i did a plant search via google, etc so things may have changed. I don't really know how that works. I think it may have something to do with how the site is registered. I was surprised to see your davesgarden link. I wonder if they reinstated the database info because there was such an uproar or if they forgot to delete the data input page. I think i'll do a little research about that later today. Last time i looked all the data had been deleted. At any rate, now you have 3 examples, both gardenstew and atp data entry forms work quite nicely and are easy to fill out.

Another thought about measurements, for an international site it is good to have both metric and US and maybe UK(?) measurements.
p.s. love Ian's hair...it is just too cool for school :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question