Pilea curling leaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

Apologies if this has already been asked but I have tried pretty much every solution I found online with little success.

My pilea plant's leaves are severely curled. This happens to all leaves soon after they grow. The leaves feel quite stiff and they also seem to be very dark green and 'leathery'.

Other than this, the plant grows normally, it makes new leaves all the time and two baby plants have also appeared, which (at least now that they are small) don't seem to show any curling leaves.

I read online that nearly anything can be the cause - too much light, too little light, overwatering or underwatering so I tried pretty much all these solutions with no noticeable results.

My flat is very bright but with little direct sunlight (East facing windows), there's about 20 degrees Celsius (68°F) and an average humidity of about 50-55% - so pretty much standard indoor conditions.

I tried having the plant on the windowsill with lots of bright indirect light all day and then I tried placing it into a still bright corner but away from the window in case it had too much light. I also tried watering it quite a bit - about once a week or when the top layer of the soil was dry. Then I also tried watering it less often for a while to see if I could notice any improvement. I also repotted it and checked for root rot - all seemed fine. This was done over relatively long periods of time so I don't think the shock of frequent changes of its environment/watering routine could be to blame.

I really have no other idea on how to fix the pilea or what may be the cause for it growing the way it does. I would really appreciate your help if anyone has had a similar issue.

Please see the photo for more context & thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20191024_202054.jpg
    IMG_20191024_202054.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,757
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Finn04 , welcome to the forum - good to have you on board (y)

Your plant looks to be in excellent health to me, and I rather think you worry too much. Everso many of these that I've seen appear to dimple like yours, but the leaves look lovely and glossy. It might be a good idea to pot up some of the babies to give away as gifts .... everyone likes to receive a money plant :happy:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine looks exactly like that as well and I’m trying to look up all the research I can but your question is the only one I find

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Generally, Pilea leaves curl because of excessive watering, heat and light stress, lack of humidity and nutrients, and problems with roots and pests.
But, judging from the picture that you have attached and the information that you have given, your pilea seems healthy and getting good care. Keep on maintaining and caring for your plants on a regular basis. Also, you can try out some fertilizer in case the problem of leaves curling deteriorate as they may be lacking some nutrients.

Ask a Question