Philodendron Selloum Plant not growing

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi all. Could someone let me know if I am doing something wrong causing my Philodendron Selloum Plant to stop growing and leaves coloring yellowish. My Philodendron Selloum Plant is located outside in a container. I am living in the tropics and plant gets only direct sunlight a couple of hours in the morning. The plant has not grown any new leaves for a couple of months now. It has grown some air roots though. There is one new leaf 'sprout' showing but is remaining in closed position. I repotted the plant about a month ago into A much bigger pot thinking that would solve the problem but unfortunately did not. I also added slow release vertilizer pellets but those are only very few. Anybody?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi all. Could someone let me know if I am doing something wrong causing my Philodendron Selloum Plant to stop growing and leaves coloring yellowish. My Philodendron Selloum Plant is located outside in a container. I am living in the tropics and plant gets only direct sunlight a couple of hours in the morning. The plant has not grown any new leaves for a couple of months now. It has grown some air roots though. There is one new leaf 'sprout' showing but is remaining in closed position. Anybody?
Here some pics of my Philodendron Selloum

Attachments

• 20211231_093447.jpg
    20211231_093447.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20211231_093430.jpg
    20211231_093430.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20211231_093438.jpg
    20211231_093438.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
Country
United States
It is interesting that your Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum (formerly Philodendron selloum or P. bipinnatifidum) is not growing in the tropics. It is also called Hardy Philodendron. I grow one outside in my climate. It does not grow much in cool weather. Has your weather been unusually cool? How is the drainage of the plant's soil and container? Has the plant been recently repotted?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
It is interesting that your Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum (formerly Philodendron selloum or P. bipinnatifidum) is not growing in the tropics. It is also called Hardy Philodendron. I grow one outside in my climate. It does not grow much in cool weather. Has your weather been unusually cool? How is the drainage of the plant's soil and container? Has the plant been recently repotted?
Hi, it stopped growing about 3 months ago.
Repotted it about a month and a half ago trying to solve the problem.
Soil drainage is good as excess water drains out of the container and there is no standing water. The last two weeks temps have dropped to mid 20's degr. C. Before that it was constant mid 30's.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure exactly why the growth has slowed down. Overall, your care sounds adequate. I would experiment with increasing fertilizer and light. Do this in small increments and try to measure how the plant responds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Perhaps too large a pot for this relatively small Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum.
If you transplanted a plant, have you seen the roots? The roots may not be taking up most of the pot. Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum feels comfortable in a cramped and even narrower pot. If you plant Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum in a large and wide pot, the leaves may shrink and the plant itself may stop growing.
It needs replanting when the roots fill the entire pot.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Perhaps too large a pot for this relatively small Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum.
If you transplanted a plant, have you seen the roots? The roots may not be taking up most of the pot. Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum feels comfortable in a cramped and even narrower pot. If you plant Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum in a large and wide pot, the leaves may shrink and the plant itself may stop growing.
It needs replanting when the roots fill the entire pot.
Hi Larisa, thanks for your suggestion but when the plant stopped growing it was in a much smaller pot. I seen roots coming out of the soil on top of the pot and through the drain holes. After about mont and a half in that small pot I repotted it to a larger pot which did not improve the growth except for one air rood which grew from the base of the plant.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Your potting mix particle size looks small I'd add more perlite/coir chips or similar, get more air around the roots.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi all. Could someone let me know if I am doing something wrong causing my Philodendron Selloum Plant to stop growing and leaves coloring yellowish. My Philodendron Selloum Plant is located outside in a container. I am living in the tropics and plant gets only direct sunlight a couple of hours in the morning. The plant has not grown any new leaves for a couple of months now. It has grown some air roots though. There is one new leaf 'sprout' showing but is remaining in closed position. I repotted the plant about a month ago into A much bigger pot thinking that would solve the problem but unfortunately did not. I also added slow release vertilizer pellets but those are only very few. Anybody?
Just a quick update on this subject. Since a cople days there is now a new leaf popping up in the center of the plant. This is the first growth I seen since a long time. I just continued to care for it hoping it would grow again. So it seems to so.

Attachments

• 20220304_114443.jpg
    20220304_114443.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 15

Ask a Question