Philodendron Imperial Red(Rojo Congo) - Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm Mari, nice to meet you all! I'm fairly new to planthood, in fact, I got three beautiful plants so far and one of them is my gorgeous Philodendron Imperial Red A.K.A Rojo Congo Philodendron.

This plant arrived in the post exactly a week ago, looking all healthy and glamorous so I thought this plant will do very well, but lately I've been noticing this plant showing dark yellowish spots on this one medium-sized leaf and it has been worrying me since. I immediately looked it up on the interwebs and I came across a helpful video on YouTube and I proceded to follow the steps to stop what it seemed to be bacterial leaf spot.
I'm hoping this is it and I managed to rescue my plant before it completely spreads on all leaves and dies. I'm curious to know if any owners of this plant had this problem before and how to avoid from getting it again? I read that this is common to happen on philodendrons like imperial green and red unfortunately.

so far here are a few things I did to hopefully keep this plant happy:

- I have a soil moister sensor meter, I use this regularly and I do use my finger to feel the soil too. The soil has been moist for a week and I have not watered it yet because I'm afraid of overwatering it.
- I clean each leaf to keep it dust-free.
- I sometimes move her to a brighter(netted windows) spot for a bit of sunshine as I read they can cope with direct sunlight.

I'm thinking on checking the roots and if needed, repotting will be my last resort to help this plant, but believe me, I'm scared! lol.
I know it's not dying yet and it looks healthy? maybe I'm exaggerating but please be kind I just hate to think I'm possibly killing this plant.

I have attached some photos my plant. Please you experts be the judge! Thank you
phily.jpg
IMG_1834.jpg
IMG_1838.jpg
IMG_1842.jpg
IMG_1844.jpg
IMG_1835.jpg
IMG_1839.jpg
IMG_1840.jpg
IMG_1841.jpg
IMG_1843.jpg
IMG_1845.jpg

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to GF forums
Don't know much about house plants but, it could be sun scorch on the leaves when you've cleaned them, I wouldn't clean them too often and don't repot it unless it's very root bound. Have another look on YouTube to see how you have to look after it. But house plants can be very difficult to look after so don't be too upset if things doesn't work out, that's why I don't grow them. I did have a rubber plant and a cheese plant they were easier to keep healthy, I gave them away because I was fed up looking after them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to GF forums
Don't know much about house plants but, it could be sun scorch on the leaves when you've cleaned them, I wouldn't clean them too often and don't repot it unless it's very root bound. Have another look on YouTube to see how you have to look after it. But house plants can be very difficult to look after so don't be too upset if things doesn't work out, that's why I don't grow them. I did have a rubber plant and a cheese plant they were easier to keep healthy, I gave them away because I was fed up looking after them.
Thanks for your reply!
Yes, you might be right there, I do clean them often because I have this plant in my bedroom not too close to the window and I worry it collects dust(I dust my desk almost daily, I hate the look of dusty surfaces lol..) I will leave it a month or so see how it goes.
I won't repot yet then. I think I watched almost all the videos possible on YT about these guys and I got a clear idea how to keep my philodendron happy for now. Houseplants can be very tricky I know this and I'm up for the challenge hehe. My partner worries I worry too much about my plants already, I need to step back and enjoy them more for as long as I have them :).

Ask a Question