Philodendron issue

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a number of indoor philos. Recently new leaves on some plants have started to show strange perforations. I pull those leaves off, thinking it might be a fungal infection,. but then more happen. What's going on??

Attachments

• P6200009.jpg
    P6200009.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 212
Reaction score
Country
United States
Drying leaf margins are a sign of not enough water or too little water between waterings. Please post a photo of the whole plant in the container with a soil shot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Uh, no drying leaf margins here. Are you looking at the picture I posted? Plenty of water applied. The picture shows just about the whole plant and you can even see some of the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's the whole plant? Hold your hand over the plant between your fingers and tip the plant out of the container. Get a look at the roots and see if they are mushy or black. If your roots are white and healthy then your plant has mechanical damage and not a fungus. I don't see a fungus on your plant. If you not sure about the way the roots look then post a photo of the root ball.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That doesn't make a lot of sense. When I see fungal damage on tomato leaves, the roots look fine. Mechanical damage? Um, like from what? No bulldozers inside the house.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like you are going to have to find out yourself, because I can't grow if for you.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It could be damage caused to the young leaf before it uncurls and expands, so the holes get bigger. Given the thinning you can see around some of the holes I'd have a look for a small snail or slug in or around the growing point.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, but there are no insect pests that I've been able to see. These are indoor plants, so snails and slugs are certainly not going to be rampant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why don't you take your plant to a plant nursery and ask them if they know what's causing your plant problems?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey! This actually looks like a golden pothos to me... is it close to a heat register? I know it’s June and people aren’t using heat right now but still. It could also be due to a lack of humidity. It doesn’t look like a pest problem to me... it might also need new soil or a fertilizer... could be nutrient deficiency....

Ask a Question