Philodendron Hope Wet / Mushy Leaf

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi everyone, I got a new philodendron Hope plant and there's a leaf that's gone wet and mushy in some parts. It has even started to leak / drip water slowly from the bottom. What's wrong with it? Is it a bacterial infection? If it is, should I cut it off?

Additionally, there's a new stem growth that's worked out okay but where it sprouted off now looks brown and also mushy / damp. Is this rotting? Should I trim it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-07-19 at 1.16.03 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-19 at 1.16.03 PM (1).jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 349
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-07-19 at 1.16.03 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-19 at 1.16.03 PM.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 1,094
Reaction score
Country
Israel
@paulajrmc , Hello

I think the problem could be too little or too much watering. if you say the leaves are mushy and leak + yellow (brown) colour, could mean it is over-watered.

Here is something I found in an article about Philodendrons:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/philodendron/brown-philodendron-leaves.htm

"Philodendrons require a steady supply of water to remain healthy. The soil should always be a little bit moist. If you’re spacing your waterings out too much or watering too lightly, this could be the cause. When you water, water thoroughly, not stopping until water flows out of the drainage holes. Conversely, too much water can cause brown philodendron leaves as well. Philodendrons like water, but they don’t like to sit in it. Make sure your pot has plenty of drainages, and that water flows freely out of the drainage holes when you water.

Of course, it can also be a matter of sunlight, maybe a sunburn, or not enough minerals.

It is really important to addresses this problem quickly because leaves like those, are a perfect place for fungi and pests.
This can also cause the leaves and the stem to rot, which is not good at all.

I suggest following the instructions above, and if nothing saves the leaves and the stem that are already infected by the problem, cut them down to eliminate a possible breeding site for pests (like thrips) and fungi.

Good luck

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
@paulajrmc , Hello

I think the problem could be too little or too much watering. if you say the leaves are mushy and leak + yellow (brown) colour, could mean it is over-watered.

Here is something I found in an article about Philodendrons:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/philodendron/brown-philodendron-leaves.htm

"Philodendrons require a steady supply of water to remain healthy. The soil should always be a little bit moist. If you’re spacing your waterings out too much or watering too lightly, this could be the cause. When you water, water thoroughly, not stopping until water flows out of the drainage holes. Conversely, too much water can cause brown philodendron leaves as well. Philodendrons like water, but they don’t like to sit in it. Make sure your pot has plenty of drainages, and that water flows freely out of the drainage holes when you water.

Of course, it can also be a matter of sunlight, maybe a sunburn, or not enough minerals.

It is really important to addresses this problem quickly because leaves like those, are a perfect place for fungi and pests.
This can also cause the leaves and the stem to rot, which is not good at all.

I suggest following the instructions above, and if nothing saves the leaves and the stem that are already infected by the problem, cut them down to eliminate a possible breeding site for pests (like thrips) and fungi.

Good luck

Thanks a lot, @Yinon. The yellow and mush progressed and got bigger, so I just went ahead and trimmed it from the bottom of the stem. There's still new growth coming in, so I'm thankful! And the situation hasn't spread to the other leaves. Will be monitoring closely.

Ask a Question