Pest or viral damage on Monstera Esqueleto

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve had this plant for about a year now and it’s been a little bit of a problem plant for me. I’m a houseplant collector and am limited to a small extra bedroom to grow my plants in and as such, it’s awkward large size has made it difficult for me to find a proper space for it. Over the winter, I placed the plant on a pole to climb as it began sending out runners, and cut the plant back to the last leaf that had been pushed out. It wasn’t until recently that new growth began popping out, and this past week, three leaves have popped out of two growth points. It’s worth mentioning that with so many plants in such a small space, I have dealt with mealybugs and thrips, and due to some recent emergencies haven’t been up to date on pest management. As well, one of the growth points sent out about three feet of runner growth prior to pushing out two strange leaves, and I believe this is due to the runner being stepped on and positioned awkwardly, causing for me to knock into it. The leaves on this growth point became stuck in the pole as they were emerging, but they have strange patterns that some might say is mosaic virus. I have never dealt with this virus as far as I can tell, and no plants surrounding it have any viral symptoms. It’s also worth mentioning that this is a plant that I have had for a year and have a couple healthy small plants from cuttings of this plant growing in propagation boxes with higher humidity and no pests on them which has resulted in more normal growth. I apologize for the long post, but I am essentially just trying to confirm my suspicions of pest and mechanical damage as opposed to a viral disease. I’ve separated this plant and it’s now on the opposite side of my apartment just in case it is viral. I have also checked all plants that were surrounding this one and all were happy and healthy other than a few mealybugs which have now been treated. There were also mealybugs present on the new growth of this plant, which have now been treated. Thank you all!

Attachments

• B17D42CB-6FBF-4788-892C-DA68AC963BFB.jpeg
    B17D42CB-6FBF-4788-892C-DA68AC963BFB.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 6A27C13F-DBD4-419D-B4D3-96988481457D.jpeg
    6A27C13F-DBD4-419D-B4D3-96988481457D.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 17

Ask a Question