Monstera in disrepair- emergency!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I just got this monstera from a neighbor. She said it’s several years old, but now it’s looking like death. She gave it to me to try to repair it. So here I am! And I am super excited!

I am a newbie when it comes to the plant world, I am just trying things out currently! This is my first monstera. So far I only have experience with orchids and mini roses.

So this is definitely a new monster(a) for me.

My main concern is how tangled and messy the stalks are? How do I begin with this thing? We started with repotting it with new soil (it’s previous soil was bone dry, super dense and clumped together, which might be the root of a lot of the issues) and adding the stake. I also pruned a bit of the dead stuff.

Help! Any advice is appreciated!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are photos
37966C63-B958-4DCB-BC3F-4D5CDF0ADBC4.jpeg

Attachments

• D664B080-8961-4F2B-AF7E-C87038907CEE.jpeg
    D664B080-8961-4F2B-AF7E-C87038907CEE.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Country
United States
Btw- if the leaves look eaten, that’s because they are! Their cats got to it. Which isnt good for the cats or the plant!

Reaction score
Country
United States
What you've already done might have done the trick! I say give it time, give it plenty of bright light (and water when it needs) and wait. They can take a little time to recover and settle in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you removed all the old soil it will take several months to recuperate. The fine roothairs, which do all the water and nutrient absorption have been damaged and need time to grow back. Expect more wilting and leaf loss.

Ask a Question