Persian Rose not blooming

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Here are 2 photos of my Persian yellow rose. So, it is mid-July, it is hot and sunny and my rose isn't blooming. It bloomed in its first year, it did poorly in its second year and didn't bloom, it had bugs last year but looked a lot like this last year, except for being buggy and didn't bloom. This year, I couldn't ask for a healthier looking plant (I took care of the bug problem). I alternate manure in one spring and bone meal in the next. Last year it got manure, this year bone meal. I fertilize with MiracleGro rose fertilizer once a month. It is in a very sunny location. Does anyone have any idea why it isn't blooming?

Attachments

• _1030144.jpg
    _1030144.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 301
  • _1030150.JPG
    _1030150.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 272
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
There's a possibility you may be over feeding it and it's putting on growth instead of flowering. Roses only need to be fed a maximum of three times a year. Early Spring when they first start to show signs of life, again around mid May and then no later than late July as they need to slow down before resting during Autumn/ Winter dormancy. You may have to adjust these dates as I'm talking from a British climate point of view. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Persian Yellow Rose (Rosa foetida 'Persiana') is the cultivated yellow form, or possibly a hybrid, of a rose native to the Anatolia, Iran, the Caucasus, and other parts of central and southwestern Asia. Hardy to USDA Zone 6 (-10º F/-23º C), this rose wants full sun and regular water with good drainage. It is not remondant, but blooms once early in the rose season, either late Spring or early Summer.
For this reason the rose is best pruned in Summer, immediately after bloom. Possibly the OP's rose was pruned in Winter or Spring? If so this would have removed the flowering wood from the previous season. Another possibility is that there could have been particularly hard Spring frosts that damaged buds, though no mention was made of this.

Ask a Question