Pepper Plants

Reaction score
Preya_M and Claudine

I totally forgot and I really don't how I could have done, because I used to grow ornamental peppers, and these could, well be the answer for you both, even though some of the names, don't roll off the tongue quite as easily as 'wiri wiri' they can look pretty stunning.

Like this one called 'explosive blast' :D

Pepper explosive ember framed.jpg

and they look great in containers, just like the ones below

pepper explosive ember pot.jpg

this one is called Purple Flash

Pepper purple flash.jpg

and this, is one of the annual ornamental peppers called 'Shu'

Pepper shu ornamental.jpg

These are only a few of the varieties of ornamental peppers available, there are loads more to choose from, if none of these take your fancy :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, Gata Montes, they're so gorgeous! To be honest, I had absolutely no idea that there are so many stunning pepper varieties. Thank you for sharing the pictures! I like the 'explosive blast' the most, it's the prettiest pepper plant I've ever seen:D

Reaction score
Wow, Gata Montes, they're so gorgeous! To be honest, I had absolutely no idea that there are so many stunning pepper varieties. Thank you for sharing the pictures! I like the 'explosive blast' the most, it's the prettiest pepper plant I've ever seen:D

Your welcome :)
Don't know how I could have forgotten, just how gorgeous they look when in their full glory, ' explosive blast ' would be my first choice too :) and now that you have jogged my memory, will probably start growing them again, although I do still remember growing ' Purple Flash ' when I first moved here, and instead of looking extremely gorgeous and succulent, it landed up looking like a fried pepper plant, after I had unintentionally, allowed it to sit in a spot, that was far too sunny for it to cope with.

Reaction score
Preya_M and Claudine

I totally forgot and I really don't how I could have done, because I used to grow ornamental peppers, and these could, well be the answer for you both, even though some of the names, don't roll off the tongue quite as easily as 'wiri wiri' they can look pretty stunning.

Like this one called 'explosive blast' :D

View attachment 1324

and they look great in containers, just like the ones below

View attachment 1321

this one is called Purple Flash

View attachment 1323

and this, is one of the annual ornamental peppers called 'Shu'

View attachment 1322

These are only a few of the varieties of ornamental peppers available, there are loads more to choose from, if none of these take your fancy :D

Wow, these pepper plants look stunning! I never knew that there were such peppers used for decoration; I would definitely look into the "explosive blast" and the "purple flash", these colours are superb! I like the names.

@claudine - Children can definitely be a handful with plants but I love small dogs!https://www.gardening-forums.com/members/claudine.192/

Reaction score
Preya_M

Glad you like them, as I said in some of my other posts, I used to grow these and can tell you for sure, that they are a truly stunning sight in real life, especially ' explosive blast ' and ' purple flash' and at least with the ornamentals, you don't have to worry or feel guilty about wasting those hot 'fireball' like peppers, or remembering to place them on a plate, before handing them to someone :D

If you really are wanting to grow them - seeds for all those above and more - are readily available online :)

Reaction score
I've grown pepper plants in the garden a few times. Last year I must've got at least 10 gallons of peppers between habaneros, cayennes, and a few jalepenos and bell peppers. Most of the first 2 kinds are still in the deep freeze. I'd like to add a sun space onto the house sometime, both for solar heat and added growing time. Most indoor plants arent good for us as the cats like to chew on leaves...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'm a chilli pepper addict :D

I've been growing them for years and now only grow hot or super hot varieties.

These were some of my early ones. They were grown about ten years ago and these plants were in their third year.

280_8049.JPG

After that I started cross breeding these with some smaller varieties in order to make the plants more manageable and ended up with these

P1170881.JPG

P1210439.JPG

P1210440.JPG

I also grow Naga chillies that are supposed to be the hottest in the world (there are various names given to the Nagas depending on the breeder). They also have a distinctive flavour.
Here in the UK we have thousands of Indian restaurants and curry is extremely popular. A lot of Brits like hot curries but they would rarely be able to eat Nagas. Some miles from us is an Asian food warehouse that sells to the restaurant trade. I grow the Naga plants for them and they are not used in the restaurants but just for the personal use of the Asians (mainly Bengalis around here). The proceeds of the sales go to the charity I support.

This is a Naga plant

P1210435.JPG

If anyone is interested how they measure the heat of a chilli then here's a link that also lists how hot some of the varieties are.

Chillies are measure on the Scoville Scale and the heat depends on the amount of the chemical Capsaicin in them.

http://www.ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Bootsy, your peppers are gorgeous!!! You clearly have a green thumb:) My boyfriend's pepper plant was as tiny as my smallest miniature rose:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks, Claudine, the plant in the second picture was only 6" from the top of the pot. :)

I have to admit that it's my wife who is the real green thumb person. She can make almost anything grow. I'm just the assistant gardener :D

Zigs can back up my claim. He's seen the work that she can do. :LOL:

Reaction score
I've grown a lot of peppers in my day. I mean they reproduce so much that we even had to giveaway or throw away peppers. I love seasoning them in food but I do not like my food to be too hot. They have got to be the easiest thing to grow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got a habanero plant and I'm hoping that it will yield some peppers this season. The container says it should take about 90 days (which I think means I should look for some in late July or August). It's just begun to flower, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Reaction score
My grandma use to always keep a pepper plant on her front porch. She lived in apartments so she could never have a large garden but what ever she could stick in a pot, she would. I love using just a hint of pepper in a lot of meals that I cook. I am a southerner and we are known for putting just a hint in our collard greens.

Ask a Question