Pepper Plants

Reaction score
I come from an Indian background and so we cook using peppers. My parents have a pepper plant at home and it bares peppers every single year. They never buy pepper anymore, unless it's black pepper. Do any of you have pepper plants at home? They look like this:

PEPPER-PLANT.jpg

Reaction score
I have not had that variety in my garden. I do plant green peppers and yellow peppers. They are milder. I have had banana peppers in my garden before too. I do not like to grow many peppers because I don't eat or cook a lot with them.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That reminds me, must bring mine in before the frosts start :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't grow pepper plants, but my boyfriend does, it's the only one plant that he has in his room:) He often forgets to water it, yet, it grows beautifully and it's relatively big. Also, it produces lots and lots of peppers. They're extremely spicy:p

Reaction score
I wanto to try some peppers indoor. They are quite colorful and attractive and the fact you can cook with them is a great bonus. Love the pictures.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Brought mine in, must be 3 years old now, grown from seed sent to me by a member from Canada. Should have been the naughty chili but it didn't quite grow true to type.

DSCF0003.JPG

Reaction score
My dad loves peppers plants, he used to have several pepper plants... I actually think he has one in his garden. I absolutely love those mini chili plants that have very small chilis, they're absolutely adorable :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, Zigs, your chili plant is so big! It looks really decorative. I wish I liked eating peppers more. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of very spicy foods. So, if I decided to gow a pepper plant, I have no idea what would I do with fruits.

Reaction score
Brought mine in, must be 3 years old now, grown from seed sent to me by a member from Canada. Should have been the naughty chili but it didn't quite grow true to type.

View attachment 1251

From Canada? I'm from Canada as well, I guess us Canadians love these peppers. :) Your pepper plant looks so beautiful and healthy, look at all those peppers! I can't even remember the age of my parents' pepper plant, we've had it for many years, atleast 6+, it's practically part of the family now that I think about it. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Preya_M

Although I grow most types of peppers, I don't grow the hot ones anymore. I grew some hot ones a few years ago, but they went to waste, as everyone I offered them to, politely and not so politely refused them, saying they were far too hot for them to eat :D I do like the look of the hot pepper plants though, almost enough to grow them for their ornamental value :)

Zigs

Like your ' not so naughty chilli' plant, it looks really attractive :)

Reaction score
Preya_M

Although I grow most types of peppers, I don't grow the hot ones anymore. I grew some hot ones a few years ago, but they went to waste, as everyone I offered them to, politely and not so politely refused them, saying they were far too hot for them to eat :D I do like the look of the hot pepper plants though, almost enough to grow them for their ornamental value :)

Zigs

Like your ' not so naughty chilli' plant, it looks really attractive :)

I myself can't stand extremely hot peppers, so I can't blame the polite ones who refused. :p This reminds me of a superstitious saying in my culture; they say that if you physically hand pepper over to someone hand-to-hand, then you'll get into a fight with them. What we usually do to give pepper to someone, is place it on a surface and then the other person will just take it like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I myself can't stand extremely hot peppers, so I can't blame the polite ones who refused. :p This reminds me of a superstitious saying in my culture; they say that if you physically hand pepper over to someone hand-to-hand, then you'll get into a fight with them. What we usually do to give pepper to someone, is place it on a surface and then the other person will just take it like that.
Haha, it's funny, it's the first time when I hear of this superstition. Some time ago, I took a few peppers from my boyfriend's hand, because I wanted to get a closer look at them. I hope that it doesn't mean that we will get into a fight soon:p I must tell him about it:p

Reaction score
Preya_M

Know I know why their faces showed so much hostility - I should have placed the pepper on a tray and then offered it to them :D Luckily no fights broke out, but at least thanks to you, I now know, how to avoid them in the future and of course, how to make sure none of my peppers go to waste, as you said, just put the peppers on a tray - and the other person will just take them :)

By the way, do you know the story behind the superstition ?

Reaction score
Haha, it's funny, it's the first time when I hear of this superstition. Some time ago, I took a few peppers from my boyfriend's hand, because I wanted to get a closer look at them. I hope that it doesn't mean that we will get into a fight soon:p I must tell him about it:p

I found it funny the first time I heard about it as well; one of my Aunts did it to me and I laughed so hard tears started coming out of my eyes. Then I did it with my boyfriend to be on the safe side, we haven't had a fight in a year, so who knows! :p Some superstitions are pretty funny.

My dad has some peppers growing back home in Guyana in his garden, they're called Wiri Wiri peppers and he brings them to Canada all the time to give them away to people. I made a horrible mistake of rubbing my eyes when I handled them, I felt the burn like no other! Ever heard of those peppers?

Reaction score
Preya_M

Know I know why their faces showed so much hostility - I should have placed the pepper on a tray and then offered it to them :D Luckily no fights broke out, but at least thanks to you, I now know, how to avoid them in the future and of course, how to make sure none of my peppers go to waste, as you said, just put the peppers on a tray - and the other person will just take them :)

By the way, do you know the story behind the superstition ?

They'd have taken the peppers as if it were laid out for the Queen. :p You never know, they might feel like it's a gift to them from the tray. :p I have no idea how this superstition came to be, though I might look into it when I get the time. Here are a few other superstitions that I found along with the pepper one but I think that we take it on to the next level, where it's gifting.

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/food-superstitions

Ask a Question