Pepper Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I found it funny the first time I heard about it as well; one of my Aunts did it to me and I laughed so hard tears started coming out of my eyes. Then I did it with my boyfriend to be on the safe side, we haven't had a fight in a year, so who knows! :p Some superstitions are pretty funny.

My dad has some peppers growing back home in Guyana in his garden, they're called Wiri Wiri peppers and he brings them to Canada all the time to give them away to people. I made a horrible mistake of rubbing my eyes when I handled them, I felt the burn like no other! Ever heard of those peppers?
So far, we haven't fought, we don't even argue, so I guess there is nothing to worry about, haha:D
Rubbing your eyes right after touching peppers must have been extremely paiful!:cry: I once did it too and I still remember the pain:(

Reaction score
So far, we haven't fought, we don't even argue, so I guess there is nothing to worry about, haha:D
Rubbing your eyes right after touching peppers must have been extremely paiful!:cry: I once did it too and I still remember the pain:(

Congratulations for you "no-fighting" streak, I hope it continues on it's path. :)

Yes, it was extremely painful indeed! I don't know what I was thinking at the time, but now I use gloves to handle the peppers. Have you ever heard of the Wiri Wiri peppers before? They grow into a shape like these little tiny round balls. Anyone can make a mistake into thinking that it's a fruit, but if you eat a whole one it'll probably blister your mouth. :eek:

P6177033.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's the first time when I hear of Wiri Wiri peppers, I haven't seen them before and I've never tried them. The plant looks so pretty! The tiny, round peppers are absolutely adorable:D I would never guess that they can blister your mouth:p They look like sweet berries:)

Reaction score
Preya_M

I've never heard of Wiri Wiri peppers before either, but have to say I really like the name, think its a lovely name for a plant, even though they're look attractively soft and gentle on the outside, but are hot and fiery on the inside :D

Never thought of it before you mentioned it, but yes, I suppose if you handed someone a hot pepper on a plate, they may well feel honored :)

I think sometimes, especially in the case of superstitions, ignorance is bliss, and I do realize that some people do take them very seriously, and almost feel terrible for saying this, but some of those superstitions had me roaring with laughter, particularly the one about bananas :LOL:

I had absolutely no idea, that there was so much superstition surrounding bananas. :D and that just the presence of a banana on board a boat, could bring death.
I carry bananas with me a lot, as they are a great snack and especially so when traveling, but hey, now I realize, every time I traveled by boat carrying bananas, I was actually jeopardizing peoples lives by doing so - thats awful.

Do you know, how many times these incidents have to occur, before they become superstitions ?:LOL:

Reaction score
It's the first time when I hear of Wiri Wiri peppers, I haven't seen them before and I've never tried them. The plant looks so pretty! The tiny, round peppers are absolutely adorable:D I would never guess that they can blister your mouth:p They look like sweet berries:)

You know what they say: "Things aren't always what they seem" and these peppers definitely honour that saying. But yes, they look pretty, but they're balls of evil hotness! I sometimes have issues pronouncing the name out loud because it sounds so strange. If you're interested in them, they're usually sold at the West Indian Super Markets.

Reaction score
Preya_M

I've never heard of Wiri Wiri peppers before either, but have to say I really like the name, think its a lovely name for a plant, even though they're look attractively soft and gentle on the outside, but are hot and fiery on the inside :D

Never thought of it before you mentioned it, but yes, I suppose if you handed someone a hot pepper on a plate, they may well feel honored :)

I think sometimes, especially in the case of superstitions, ignorance is bliss, and I do realize that some people do take them very seriously, and almost feel terrible for saying this, but some of those superstitions had me roaring with laughter, particularly the one about bananas :LOL:

I had absolutely no idea, that there was so much superstition surrounding bananas. :D and that just the presence of a banana on board a boat, could bring death.
I carry bananas with me a lot, as they are a great snack and especially so when traveling, but hey, now I realize, every time I traveled by boat carrying bananas, I was actually jeopardizing peoples lives by doing so - thats awful.

Do you know, how many times these incidents have to occur, before they become superstitions ?:LOL:

I like the name as well, it's pretty funny saying it out loud. They have hidden secrets. I think if you hand anything to anyone on a tray, they'd feel honoured. :p I know how you feel, I had a few good laughs at some superstitions, some of them I find ridiculous. The banana on the boat one is hilarious indeed! :ROFLMAO: I have no idea how many times they have to occur, but at this rate, I'm thinking once!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, I agree that the name sounds strange, if I heard somebody saying 'Wiri Wiri', I would think that he is casting a spell or something:pUnfortunately, as far as I know, we don't have any West Indian Super Markets here, in my city.

Reaction score
Preya_M

:LOL: Tried it and would agree, it does sound pretty funny saying 'Wiri Wiri' out loud, sounds rather Chinese to me though, yet these peppers you say, are sold in West Indian Supermarkets - confusing :confused:
Yes those superstitions are hilarious and I still can't get my head round that banana one, and what the presence of just one banana on a boat can do :D

Claudine

Judging by what Preya_M has said about the strength of these little fireballs - an evil hotness :eek: I don't think you are at all unfortunate, not to live near a West Indian Supermarket - more like extremely fortunate.:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine

Judging by what Preya_M has said about the strength of these little fireballs - an evil hotness :eek: I don't think you are at all unfortunate, not to live near a West Indian Supermarket - more like extremely fortunate.:D
Haha, I guess I have to agree. On the other hand, maybe it would be nice to experiment a little and eat something extreme:p

Reaction score
Claudine

Wow - "maybe nice to experiment a little" you said. o_O are you mad :LOL:
I have to say, I really admire your guts on this one- you've certainly got loads more courage than me- there is absolutely no way, that I could throw all caution to the wind, and eat a little fireball with an evil hotness, sounds way too extreme for me :D

Reaction score
Haha, I agree that the name sounds strange, if I heard somebody saying 'Wiri Wiri', I would think that he is casting a spell or something:pUnfortunately, as far as I know, we don't have any West Indian Super Markets here, in my city.

I haven't thought about it sounding like a spell, but you're right, I guess it does! I have a new Halloween spell now! I'm sorry to hear that you don't have any West Indian Super Markets where you are, but there may be one, they're not really that popular. :LOL: I'm assuming these peppers peaked your interest a bit? I'm so thankful that my parents haven't decided to attempt and plant them at home!

Reaction score
Preya_M

:LOL: Tried it and would agree, it does sound pretty funny saying 'Wiri Wiri' out loud, sounds rather Chinese to me though, yet these peppers you say, are sold in West Indian Supermarkets - confusing :confused:
Yes those superstitions are hilarious and I still can't get my head round that banana one, and what the presence of just one banana on a boat can do :D

Yes it sounds pretty funny. :ROFLMAO: That's an interesting point you brought up, the name sounding Chinese. Actually Guyana
(my background country) is a blend of different peoples: Indian, African, Portuguese and Chinese. This is due to their history of the British bringing in slaves from these places, so the name could have indeed branched from the Chinese. Yes that banana one is crazy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I haven't thought about it sounding like a spell, but you're right, I guess it does! I have a new Halloween spell now! I'm sorry to hear that you don't have any West Indian Super Markets where you are, but there may be one, they're not really that popular. :LOL: I'm assuming these peppers peaked your interest a bit? I'm so thankful that my parents haven't decided to attempt and plant them at home!
I would like to grow the peppers for their ornamental value, I would never eat them:p I don't like when my food is too spicy. In fact, I don't like spicy foods at all. As for Indian Super Markets, the truth is that I've never looked for them. Who knows, maybe there is one or two hidden somewhere. My city is really big and always full of surprises:p

Reaction score
I would like to grow the peppers for their ornamental value, I would never eat them:p I don't like when my food is too spicy. In fact, I don't like spicy foods at all. As for Indian Super Markets, the truth is that I've never looked for them. Who knows, maybe there is one or two hidden somewhere. My city is really big and always full of surprises:p

Ornamental values? That's pretty funny, I would never want them in my house though, in case my niece and nephew came over and decided to see what they were with their mouth, that would be very sad. :p I can't eat too spicy foods either, I turn red in the face and start gasping, it's horrible! There may be some hidden, you never know.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Ornamental values? That's pretty funny, I would never want them in my house though, in case my niece and nephew came over and decided to see what they were with their mouth, that would be very sad. :p I can't eat too spicy foods either, I turn red in the face and start gasping, it's horrible! There may be some hidden, you never know.:)
I completely understand it, if there were children in my house, I wouldn't want to grow the peppers either. Children are too unpredictable and too curious of everything:p
I own a small dog, but if I kept the plant on a windowsill, he wouldn't be able to reach it:)

Ask a Question